Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Default heavy generation and fish activity

as we were flaoting the caney today we got into a discussion on fish activity and how heavy or inconsistent generation effects the fish....of course we are not fish biologist but our conclusion is that theses types of generations confuse the trouts feeding patterns....we think that they must feed differently on high water, low water or heavy flow and they need some kind of adjustment time for each condition......we know they just don't stop feeding under each different condition.....after having floated the last two days throwing everything in our boxes at them and bill having floated it last week on no generation and low water with the same results very few or no fish...its just baffeling....but i guess thats why its called fishing and not catching and why we keep going to the river..what do you guys think of this ...and what kind of theories do you have on the subject... it will be very intersting to get your opinions....
dan

Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 PM

I'm not so sure it confuses the trout so much as it confuses the bugs. There are so many variables, water temp, barometric pressure, light conditions, etc. Monday was cloudy when I went. The midges should have been coming off, but they were not, just some of those strange little flies. This is not to say that the trout are not also affected, but it seems to me that in general if you have bugs then you are going to have feeding fish. I think it was Wright who in his experiments found that the rate of water temperature change had a dramtic affect on feeding behavior. Maybe steady water temp holds back the feeding. You guys fishing streamers should have been less affected. I just know that there were very few bugs on the water for fish to feed on. I've been chasing trout for close to thirty years and they are still a mystery as to what you will find when you hit the stream. You just go when you can and take what you get. Be interesting to see what others experience. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-27-2009, 11:51 AM

Dan,
I have come to the same conclusion as you concerning inconsistent generation patterns. My observations have been on the Elk. When there is a drastic change in the schedule, it seems to always affect the fishing negatively.

Silvercreek,
Yes, you are correct, there are also a lot of other variables.
My observations are very unscientific.

William
Old 11-27-2009, 12:35 PM

William, I do not discount observation. Too many times "scientific" folks dismiss layman observation and are later proven wrong. I guess until someone buries electrodes in a fishes brain to gage responses, all there is to rely on is observation. Many years ago I was fishing the Caney while some of the TTU folks were snorkeling around observing trout. I told one of these dudes about having just taken two nice trout in a foot of water and was pointedly told there research showed trout only feed in about three feet of water. Tthis forum will provide a nice log of catches at various conditions. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 11-27-2009, 01:46 PM

I know that when Norris dam generates with mostly 2 generators for the winter and then suddenly shuts down to 0 that the fishing can be dynamite.
Sometimes it may take the fish a day or two for the fish to get on the "bite" but for the next week or 2 it's banner fishing.

4X
Old 11-27-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
William, I do not discount observation. Too many times "scientific" folks dismiss layman observation and are later proven wrong. I guess until someone buries electrodes in a fishes brain to gage responses, all there is to rely on is observation. Many years ago I was fishing the Caney while some of the TTU folks were snorkeling around observing trout. I told one of these dudes about having just taken two nice trout in a foot of water and was pointedly told there research showed trout only feed in about three feet of water. Tthis forum will provide a nice log of catches at various conditions. Regards, Silvercreek
Trout definitely don't feed in shallow water on the Caney. Everyone should immediately quit fishing water that is less than 3 feet deep...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 11-27-2009, 02:32 PM

A few months ago I found a pod of fish feeding hard on midges in 1-2' of water on the Clinch. I had a blast catching brookies, bows, and one brown. Haven't been able to wade since then with the heavy generation schedule

Neal
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Trout definitely don't feed in shallow water on the Caney. Everyone should immediately quit fishing water that is less than 3 feet deep...
Don't worry, a lot of folks on the Caney wade through or stand in the shallow water (shoals) that they should probably be casting to. I always passed on this water until recently. Now that I think about it, my biggest brown to date came out of water less than two feet deep.

One of my favorite (kind of mischevious) things to do as I am moving around another fisher is cast behind him in a foot of water and hook a trout while he is focusing on casting to the deepest part of the river. (Of course I only do this after making sure that he is not fishing that water). So far no one has gotten too upset with me doing this. They will just look like....what was that fish doing there?

Really, other than that, I usually try to show proper etiquette on the river.

William
Old 11-27-2009, 06:47 PM

William, come sneaking up on me and you'll go home with your ears stuck full of midge flies. Just joking. I've been known to try for a trout that was unattended myself.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Not sure how this will fit into this discussion, but, I've found that when the water has just came up from generation, or has just fallen from the wheels going off, the fishing "suddenly" gets good! Maybe it's coincidence but it seems to happen too often.
Mark 1:17