Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM

Default soft hackles

i watched fly fisherman tv show and saw the guy tie a soft hakle, orange/something. i copied and tied some with olive and orange thread.

what is the best way to fish these?

tandem
weighted
greased just under the surface

what does swinging a nymph mean?

thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM

Default fishing a softhackle

dalerio,
Any of the ways that you mentioned are alright to excellent when fishing a softhackle. When fishing in the Park you will usually see them fished in tandem just below a nymph or underneath a dry fly. They may be deaddrifted or cast across stream and allowed to swing in the current until they slowly rise to the surface. This is when you will get a lot of strikes. They are just as deadly when fished deep about 12-14 inches below a weighted nymph. In both cases they appear to be an emerging insect that is very vulnerable.
When fished on tailwaters they are usually cast across stream and allowed to swing downstream in the current. You can add some slight movement to them. As they approach the surface they will cause fish to just go crazy and induce very strong strikes. Swinging a nymph is about the same thing. Try some each way and see if they work for you.
Hugh
Old 12-02-2009, 10:48 PM

I was just getting ready to ask how to swing nymphs. Now I know why I sometimes miss fish at the end of my drift when I am letting the line straighten so I can cast my couble nymph rig without tangling.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 AM

thanks Hugh

i geuss i have used the swing method before. i use it in bigger waters trying to get as much drift while searching for fish with nymph on new water. i caught three rainbows back in june in the little river with your smoky mountain blackbird(well one i tiedanyways) it has to be the best pattern i have ever used. i got to use a big white poly strike indicator, there was the white flowers of the mountain laurels all over the water and the fish didn't mind. i tie them down to a sz 20 and use them everywhere. while i have the chance, for inventing that fly

YOU SIR ARE THE MAN.....

back to swinging a fly. i always wondered why the strikes came when i lifted the fly to throw it back up stream.

this is why i LOVE fly fishing. there is always something new to learn. new flies to tie, new places to fish, new goal to strive for.

thanks again maybe my wife could buy me into one of your nymphing classes this coming year.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:47 AM

I highly recommend the class! Not only did Hugh teach me a lot but he was also fun to be around. I plan on doing it again.