Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 12-02-2009, 11:27 PM

Default Never thought I would like tying

I never thought I would like tying flies, but I was wrong. Tying is very relaxing for me, and it is very satisfying to catch a fish on a fly that I tied. I just last week got to be able to put dubbing on thread without making an awful mess, scrapping that fly, and going back to a pheasant tail or something easier for me. I watched videos and read about how to dub the thread, but it just wouldn't work, but then, all of a suden, it was a piece of cake from one fly to the next. Here is a pic of a decnet bow I got on Raven Fork on a #12 gold ribbed olive hare's ear I tied a couple days ago. I caught two fish this size yesterday on this fly. Too bad I fished four hours throwing every other nymph I have with no success, and tried this at the end of the day.

Not the best pic of me, but you know the old saying............."you can't make chicken soup out of chicken ****"
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 AM

Congratulations on some super nice fish and glad you got the dubbing figured out.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 AM

Very nice catch. I to got into tying thinking I would never like it. I have alot of problems still with trout flies. However, I got started tying poppers, clousers, wooly buggers and saltwater patterns and had a blast. I now think I had rather tie than fish. Every time I tie a patern I think about the trip coming up or the fish it will catch or how I want to fish it, butu then I get on the water and screw something up and come home skunked from the dreams I had at the tying desk. But the I slip of into my make believe world as I start tying for the next trip coming. Enjoy and have fun. Congrats.