Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 12-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Default December One Fish Per Month Challenge

Here it is, show us what you got.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 PM

Guess Ill start us off. Got out early this month, im gonna be busy and might not get another chance to fish. Water temp was 48 and air temp was 39= Frozen fingers!!! Fish were hittin though, this was the prettiest one of the day and she was plump and spunky. The tiny black stones have started hatching here already.

13 1/2" 'bow caught on #16 black BH Micro-stonefly nymph on Trammel Fork, Allen Co. Kentucky. 12-04-09

Old 12-12-2009, 07:03 PM

12/12/09, Tellico River, soft hackle
Old 12-12-2009, 10:32 PM

Buzz,
You're a brave man! Did you happen to check the water temp?

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-13-2009, 01:09 PM

It must not have been to bad. I didn't see any ice chunks floating by.
Old 12-13-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
Did you happen to check the water temp?
No, I didn't, but the leak in my waders told me that it was cold. It actually wasn't as bad as expected. I had brought a hat and gloves, and didn't feel they were needed.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 AM

I don't know if I am going to get a chance to fish again this month, so I will post a pic from early in the month. They have been generating a lot on South Holston, but I had a small window on Friday, December 4th. The water would be down by 2:00, so I arrived at the river bend cul-de-sac a little after 1:00. There was one other vehicle parked there and it looked like he might have been hunting. As I started down the trail it was obvious that someone had been dragging a deer out that morning. I always get nervous during hunting season. Just a few hundred feet from the river I see a hunter standing in the middle of the trail, not wanting to mess up his hunt I thought about heading back to the car, but decided to go on to the river. I apologized to him if I messed up his hunt, but explained that we weren't getting a lot of low water time. He said no problem, maybe you will run one toward me and promised not to shoot in my direction. I was guessing and had rigged up with a double nymph rig, wrong guess. I was going to wait on the water to get down, but as I approached the river the fish were rising to sulphurs like crazy in the dropping water. I waded into a shallow area knowing that the water was dropping. And hoped they would eat nymphs. after a few good drifts passed rising fish, I switched over to a dry/dropper rig and was instantly into fish, for the next 30 minutes, till the water was down it was crazy. I caught several beautiful browns, but didn't get any pictures. The action really slowed down after the water dropped, I picked up a few more and ended the day with this hard fighting rainbow, not nearly as pretty as the colored-up browns but the only fish I took a picture of that day

I was back on a double nymph rig on this fish and had thrown into a really fast run and was about to mend for the drift into the pool below the run, when I tried to mend the fish tightened the line and went airborn, not a big fish, but it was on a long cast and this fish ran like crazy. It was getting close to 4:00 and I wanted to head out before it got dark in case someone were to mistake me for a deer (everything I had on was either grey or brown). As I started toward shore I heard something rustling in the woods. Turned out to be about 12-15 turkeys which flew over my head to the ridge on the other side. Walked out hoping that it wasn't a hunter that had spooked them. I never saw anyone else in the river, but there was another vehicle parked at the trail. Hunting season make me nervous. Long post but not many fishing stories being told right now.
There may not be another opportunity on the SoHo for wading this year. They have been generating 24 hours a day and the lake level continues to rise, it is well above the flood guide http://www.tva.com/river/lakeinfo/op...s/sholston.htm

For me, this does complete one year in the fish each month challenge. I didn't get into this in the early going because I didn't have a camera, after getting a decent waterproof camera I decided to give it a try for the calender year. I didn't have too much trouble getting the fish (till this month), had more trouble getting the pictures. Anyway it was fun.

Mike
Old 12-17-2009, 12:52 PM

Clinch walleye...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 12-17-2009, 02:28 PM

Plateau Angler - very nice walleye. I have not yet caught one on a fly rod. You care to give a little more info?

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM

This was my first and was random so I can't claim to know very much about catching them. I was using a shad immitation and sight fishing to the fish but was just unsure as to what species it was. The fish didn't want anything to do with my fly until I twitched it a few times...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com