Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Default back country backpack recommendations

i want a pack that i can fit atleast a 1 man tent in and all of my camping and fly fishing supplies. thanks for the help. thanks for the help
Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I am a big fan of the Osprey brand of packs the aether 70 style would probably suit you well and they carry loads around 35lbs with ease when I go I carry a MSR hubba hp tent, my waders rolled small and in a stuff sack, I tie my boots on the back and stick my rod case in the pocket in the back and roll my vest in a small stuff sack as well, my net just stuffs in the back pocket with my rod.

I carry a very lightweight pack it's called a ULA (Ultra Light Accessories) it's better for light weight backpacking I just sold a aether 60 it only has 3600 cu of space which just isn't enough. The ULA is 3800 cubic inches and I have everything I need for a very comfortable trip all of my backpacking gear is ultralight expensive but well worth it to have gear that performs.

Osprey, Granite Gear, and Gregory all make very nice packs be sure that when you purchase one to take all of the gear you will be carrying in it to the outfitters and pack it there and see if it will work for you.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Sam here is a pic from this past weekends trip to Deep Creek I love backpacking and fly fishing if you ever want some company I'm game just e-mail me.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:41 PM

Hi Sam,

I am thirteen years old and got a brand new mountainsmith youth scout backpack this past Christmas for backpacking and fly fishing trips in the Smokies with my dad. I know I am talking about a youth pack for kids my age, but I think it is a really great pack and it can carry a huge load because of its size. What I am really trying to get at though is their adult packs which would be bigger and be able to carry even more than my smaller pack that can actually carry as much as a lot of adult frame size packs. If you don't like these packs though, another great brand is kelty packs. My dad just got his kelty tioga pack earlier this year like me and likes it a lot. Our first trip with our new packs was in July this year, and they were put through a tough test into one of the most remote sections of the park in which they were proven worthy as great packs. I think you will like these two pack companies and if nothing else just check their websites out and see what else they have. I hope this helps your search.

Daniel Koeppel
Old 11-11-2009, 09:16 AM

Recently, this osprey pack has caught my attention as a nice looking 3 season choice -->http://www.ospreypacks.com/detail.ph...specifications

Currently, my go to bag is an Arc'Teryx Bora 55....I believe Grouseman77 has one too and likes it pretty well. Its not ultralight, but there is almost no need to carry a rain cover. Its also very well built and can withstand torture from heavy underbrush & thorns. The top lid is removable and makes into a good waist pack when backcountry fishing.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM

Daniel--I have no advice whatsoever on backpacks, other than to note they have come light years since I was your age (there's a picture of me in my new book at about your age with a load which would likely make any decent pack mule freeze up and refuse to move). What I really wanted to say is that I'm absolutely delighted to see someone of your age posting here, or more specifically, being involved in all the wonders the Smokies and their trout have to offer. Kudos to you, and to your dad for introducing you to these wonders. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Daniel,

In my opinion (others may not agree), I would get a pack that is at least 4000 cubic inches, if you were older, I would say 5000.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:05 PM

There are tons of good packs available. Most of the ones you see now are internal frame. A few years back nearly all were external frame. If you're new to backpacking and do not have backpacking specific lightweight gear, I'd consider an external frame. A nice feature with external frame packs is that you can strap bulky stuff onto the outside much easier than you can with an internal frame pack.

Several years ago I bought an internal frame pack to replace a worn out external frame pack. My sleeping bag (which was a middle-of-the-road synthetic one) was so bulky it took up the entire pack. I ended up buying a new more compressible sleeping bag immediately.

External frame packs have kind of fallen out of favor, but I for one am a fan.

--Matt
Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to MTN_TRT

Although I have never backpacked to fish, I have backpacked to cover miles. I have a 3100 cu in Osprey pack that was very reasonable in price.

I can imagine if you will be stuffing waders and tackle into the pack, you will need something with more storage. Its important to be as efficient as possible, so you dont want to go overboard and have too much space. Learning how to load a backpack probably more important than how much space the internal compartment has. Keep that in mind.

Secondly, Osprey is the only pack that I have ever owned that does not fall apart. On top of that,they have a wicked warrenty. There are several models to choose from, so it becomes, largely, a matter of preference.

Whatever you decide to purchase, be sure that you have gone to a reputable outfitter and have been helped by someone who is more than competent. If the sellsperson does not drop a few weighty items into the pack and make you wear it around the store for a little while, then dont buy.

Hope this was a little bit of help.

Best,
Justin

www.cameracoffeeadventurego.blogspot.com
Old 11-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
Sam here is a pic from this past weekends trip to Deep Creek I love backpacking and fly fishing if you ever want some company I'm game just e-mail me.
good picture!
thanks spotlight and everyone else for your helpfull comments. if it matters i am about 6`4 220lbs does that limit on what type of pack i should carry or how big it should be?
and do most of you all spend the night or just do a day trip?