Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-10-2009, 09:58 AM

Have you had any problems with people wanting to fish on top of you?
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM

I have only had one guy do it, but usually they will move along. The guy that did get right on me walked up to the stream bank, asked me if I was going to fish the hole I was standing in, then got 50 feet below me after I started fishing.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw37909 View Post
I have only had one guy do it, but usually they will move along. The guy that did get right on me walked up to the stream bank, asked me if I was going to fish the hole I was standing in, then got 50 feet below me after I started fishing.
That happens on one of the tail waters around here from time to time. Mostly, I don't mind unless they start really crowding me or are jerks about it.

Sometimes, it's fun to keep right on catching fish and watching them not catching fish.

One time, a guy did this. He came in about 60-70' downstream from me and started fishing. After about 5 or 6 fish that I caught, he hollered up to ask what I was using. I told him what fly I was using and he tied on something similar (or at least it looked like he was doing that). I caught another 2 or 3 fish and he asked how I was fishing it. I told him he must have scared all the fish up my way.

Actually, he was a pretty decent fellow but it was his first time fly fishing. We ended up chatting for about 45 minutes, I gave him a few flies I had tied and showed him a couple pointers about mending his line and getting a decent drift. I moved on to another spot and let him have the run all to himself.

Jeff
Old 12-10-2009, 06:27 PM

I was fishing for the stockers in Gatlinburg last summer, a guy comes up with his wife and teenage kids. He starts talking as I CNR a couple of nice little fish and then proceeds to go directly across form me and cast over me!! His family then does the same thing, I'm speechless! They were chunking some kinda bait on spinning rods and of all things I kept catching fish regular and they didn't so much as get a chase out of the fish. They got mad after a while and packed up while I was still catching and releasing one every few minutes on the double dropper rig.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 PM

I had a guy do the same thing behind The Peddler restaurant this summer. Everyone says the delayed harvest in Gatlinburg is horrible this year. I spotlight the water from different bridges there during the night when I am at work and nothing is going on, and all I have seen is a big muskrat.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:41 PM

We were over that way last weekend on our bi-annual hangover/fishing trip and did pretty well. Couple of big fish landed as well as plenty of 16-18". Although there were a lot of folks on that small stretch of water, everyone seemed to share pretty well. Matter of fact, I chatted up a guy who was packing up for the day just to make an introduction and see how he did. He ended up giving me the bug he was using that worked so well and told me where his honey hole is! He has some good karma coming his way for sure. He was retired and lived near by and was just getting his buddy into fly fishing. I mention this in part b/c it was just nice to meet such a kind stranger and also, just to say thanks again in case he happens to post on this board.

Cheers!
Old 12-11-2009, 02:54 PM

I have run in to some really nice people there too. I have had several people be fishing a very large hole and tell me I am welcome to jump on the other side or get the opposite end of the hole. Everone is good about sharing fly info too.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Very nice fish man! I have yet to only meet nice folks while fly fishing but then again I have never even attempted to crowd anyone. I see someone fishing in or near a hole I'd like to fish I just move on to the next one well up or downstream. Great photos them are some very nice fish.
Old 12-12-2009, 02:07 AM

Thank you. I can't wait to get a chance to go back.