Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 11-19-2009, 11:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight
Default Bradley Fork backpack trip questions

Does anyone know how far the stream continues once Bradley Fork Trail ends and Cabin Flats Trail begins? in the brown book "hiking trails of the Smokies" it says that there is a huge log jam at that trail intersection but it don't say how far the stream continues. Has anyone fished up that far? if so how was it? the elevation profile shows it to be right at 3000ft is there a chance at maybe catching some specks at this elevation? and if anyone has fished this far up is the creek fishable? I have been to the turnaround and seen some nice holes on my way up to Pecks Corner.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:33 AM

Spotlight,

My wife and I camped up at Cabin Flats over 4th of July this year. We did not fish above the campsite because there was a pretty large group of spin fisherman (?) up there. We caught specks at the site and well below it.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Last edited by GrouseMan77; 11-20-2009 at 10:24 AM..
Old 11-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Spotlight--There are specks aplenty in Bradley Fork and its high elevation feeders. From around the confluence of Tennessee Branch upstream the whole drainage becomes a mountain trout haven. One of the three biggest specks I have ever seen anywhere in the Smokies came from these waters (just under 13 inches). Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 11-21-2009, 12:20 AM

Hey thanks for the tips guys I have yet to hook a speck yet just browns and bows so far, I will post results of the trip when I return on Sunday I am looking forward to seeing the old growth forest. I have heard there are some really tall trees at the end of cabin Flats at the campsite.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 AM

Cabin Flats is a beautiful area. Try the water below the turnaround as well. They're some nice browns up there in addition to bows and specs.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 PM

Exclamation

I found that there wasn't a lot of holes from the turnaround up to the campsite rough terrain through there but nice views mostly shallow water. From the turnaround back to Chasteen Creek Trail there were some nice holes I seen but didn't get to fish any of them I fished upstream from the turnaround.

Fishing was slow granted I'm a novice at best I caught 3 bows only one was around 6-7 inches the other 2 were like minnow's I fished dry with a dropper at 1st then switched to just the dry I had one accidental hook up that seemed like a nice fish but I never set the hook properly and that fish got off.

Campsite #49 is a very nice wide site the weather was good Saturday the water temp there was 44 degrees not sure if that had something to do with the slow fishing maybe it's just me but I am still zero on the Smokie's brook trout. Were going back to campsite 50 for 2 days on Friday and I am going to fish the middle section I got some advice on patterns from Daniel lets see how it goes with more cooler weather on the way.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:34 AM

I stayed at cabin flats last year and it was really nice. I would love to go thier again. I didn't get to fish any but I did talk to an old guy on the trail with a fly rod who said he fished a lot above cabin flats and that there was a jet engine or some peice of airplane wreckage in the middle of the stream about a mile above the campsite that had been there for years. Anyone been up far enough to see that?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I stayed at cabin flats last year and it was really nice. I would love to go thier again. I didn't get to fish any but I did talk to an old guy on the trail with a fly rod who said he fished a lot above cabin flats and that there was a jet engine or some peice of airplane wreckage in the middle of the stream about a mile above the campsite that had been there for years. Anyone been up far enough to see that?
Yes. I've seen it.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:37 PM

Bout how far up is it?
Old 11-25-2009, 05:08 PM

Default wreckage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Bout how far up is it?
About a mile I suppose. Hard to get there, but fun.