Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 PM

Default Rain This Year

Mother nature sure has dropped a lot of rain on the Smokies this year. I know it has kept a lot of us off the streams this year. Just remember what the drought was like the last two years. I remember looking off the bridge on Parsons Branch Road at Mill Creek last year. It was just a trickle. I saw 4 trout huddled in a small pool not deeper than 4 inches. Made me very sad.
Thank you Mother Nature for the rain!!!!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 AM

WBIR said we had a 12"+ surplus at the airport this year. That is incredible compared to how bad the past couple years have been. I am proud to say that I have not said one negative thing about the rain this year...that I recall. For some reason I think that we are going to get a good bit of the "s" word this year. I didn't say it because I don't want to jinx it.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 12-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Jason--A lot of the "signs," as the old-timers referred to them, suggests a hard winter. Corn shucks were particularly thick and tight this year (at least in the garde I raised at my father's in Bryson City), oaks dropped their leaves earlier than usual, bears were inordinately active in the fall, and what have you. My Grandpa, who knew nothing about meterology and would not have recognized the word, was uncanny in his ability to call what a winter would be like. He lived close to the earth and I think folks who did that instinctively knew weatehr things which escape us. There's not much science there, but I'll match the track record of those folks against Al Gore any time
Jim Casada
Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 AM

Jim - I have a suspicion that Mr. Gore doesn't know all that much about meteorology. He should have walked away after he invented the internet.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 AM

Jim, I have managed to take two deer this year with my longbow and both of them were so covered with fat it was unreal. I think that could be a sign of a rough winter as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:04 PM

KY Tim--First of all, congratulations on venison in the family freezer. It is wonderful, and wonderfully healthy, meat. My wife and I have written a number of cookbooks in which it figures prominently or entirely. As for the fat, I consider it a sign. Grandpa always said that when critters carried a lot of body fat (he was referring mainly to squirrels, rabbits, wild hogs, and bears, since deer where scarce as hen's teeth) you could look for a hard, bitter winter. Jim Casada
Old 12-11-2009, 11:31 AM

We have already experienced two days with dustings of snow and lots of below freezing nights. According to my little weather center here at the house, yesterday never got above freezing.

We try to live on wild game as much as possible Jim. So far in the deep freeze, there are two deer and a wild boar. I still have two antlerless deer tags and bow season last until Mid January. I also have two fall archery turkey tags, so it could be a bountiful harvest if I can close the deal a few more times. I have decided that no matter what recipe you use, wild game taken with a longbow and cedar shaft arrows taste inherently better LOL!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:48 AM

Even here in New Jersey the signs of a tough winter is approaching.

The house is surrounded by large oak trees and a while back they dropped an extraordinary amount of acorns.

It was so bad that many a night the sounds of them hitting the roof you would have guessed you smack dab in the middle of a hail storm.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 PM

More rain coming for Tennessee. There has been a bounty of almost everything. One odd thing though. There are no hack berries here in mid Tennessee. The trees should be loaded. Can't recall a frost that would have taken them out. The birds and squirrels rely on them. Maybe it is a local thing, but I have no idea of why this should be.