Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Question Hey Flyred06 BIIx vs Ticr????

FlyRed,
Saw a post from you back in Nov where you were in Birmingham and cast a BIIx 7wt. I believe that our fingerprints are all over that same rod! The guys put the hard sell on me...but I cannot get beyond the sticker price. Want it! Can't afford it!
Santa was good to me this year, but I wasn't good enough to rate the 7 bills required to lay in the BIIx.
How do you think the TFO Ticr would stack up against it, as a REASONABLE alternative?
I'm thinking that Winston's FAST is probably slower than the TicrX so that's why I'm thinking Ticr...also I'm actually looking at a 5 or 6 wt.
As you know that place in B'ham don't stock TFO so a side by side is impossible.
What say you sir?

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks ALL!
Old 12-26-2009, 08:13 PM

I have had and cast several TICR rods by TFO and they are definately faster than that BIIx. Maybe the Jim Teeny line of the TFO rods would excite you. I have a friend who has those rods and I like the way they cast. Also the Professional series is quite nice. For just a little more money I have cast the St. Croix legand and that is a real sweet rod in comparrison to the winston. That same shop carries St. Croix also. In my opinion from owning them and casting them the TICR are way faster than the BIIx. If you make it up to gadsden there is a shop up here where he is a TFO dealer and has a full line in stock for you to play with. Try the before mentioned rods and see what you think. Just keep in mind before you purchase LRO carries all these mentioned rods and has free shipping. I don't want to send buisness away from them cause they are to good to us with this forum and other great services.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2009, 09:36 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Flyred

You and I haunt the same places (re:Gadsden)
GREAT Folks! For all i know we have been in there at the same time.
The combo of gift cards and such means that I'll be trading with LRO...

Torn loyalties here...The place you are referring to is near and dear to my heart but doesn't take Orvis Gift Cards, nor do they offer quite the selection of alternatives as our LRO friends.

The BIIx seemed a bit faster than the TFO Pro, but it could have been me.

May have to buy the rod at one and the reel at the other just to keep things fair...too bad I can't afford the BIIx...no question where I'd get that
Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 PM

Through the shop in gadsden you are talking about we have a fly fishing club. Would love to have you come up and set in. You might even want to join. $25 a year. I do alot of my shopping at that mentioned shop due to the owners are supper great to me, but I love the larger variety that LRO offers. Also in talking about the BIIx you might want to look at some of the Sage rods in the lower price range area. My wife got me a new Launch for christmas from LRO in an 8wt and I love that rod. One day I am going to get up to that z axis or a BIIx. If you ever want to come to one of our club meetings it is on the first thursday of the month and would love to have you as my guest.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:38 AM

Plunker may want to come to our Jan. 14 meeting flyred, the outfitter some of us went to Alaska with will be there and do a program about his Naknek River camp.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:24 AM

That would be an excellent meeting. Also you could meet several guys who own the TFO rods you are questioning. The fly shop owners will be there and they are always very insightful and helpful. But if you are around gadsden stop by that shop and cast the Jim Teeny rods and you might even look at some T&T rods they carry. The horizon 2 is an awesome rod and one of my favorites. They are also a little easier on the billfold if you know what I mean. Gadsden is one of the few T&T dealers around. Do not miss understand I am not trying to plug for any dealer. Both shops have been very good to me and I trully love shopping with both of them. I just wanted to answer your question best as possible.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:29 AM

Plunker,

To make sure I am not disrespecting the board or any fly shops contact me at mcredfish38@yahoo.com and we will discuss more if you like. I do not want to do anything to hurt the fine people at either establishment and therefore it might be better to talk off board so that I am not mentioning any competetion on this board. Thanks and if I have done anything against anyone it was in ignorance and ask your forgiveness.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 AM

Default Flyred...a gentleman and a scholar!

I appreciate all the help and info. I truly appreciate your fairness to LRO, being in sales myself, it is a pleasure to have customers like you!
Make no mistake...I OWE LRO my business, if for nothing more than their providing this venue for us to forward this great sport!
As I mentioned earlier, one will get the rod, the other will get the reel is about as fair as I can make it. The CFO is minding the checkbook, and would quickly question my substitution of a personal check for a stack of gift cards to places she has no intention of spending money if you get my drift!?

Also thanks for the personal invite to the meeting. Business travel won't allow me to make the Jan meeting, but I promise to attend one soon after.
I'll chat with you soon! And thanks for the valued input!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM

I've got a TFO professional series and a couple of BIIx's and I'll say those actions are pretty similar. They seem to fit my cast really well, I can't deal with a truly "fast" rod, I've cast the new BIIMx and the Sage's in similar category and they were too fast for me. I am so used to laying out and pausing on the backcast that those rods load and unload before I get into my forward swing and cause me all types of knots and bird nests.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Thanks B

My primary rod is an Orvis Frequent Flyer 5wt...I know...I know...looong story.
I actually have two TFO pro's 3wt, 8 wt (love em) my brother has a 5wt pro that I have actually cast side by side with my 5WT FFlyer. The Orvis rod is a tad faster actually. yet slower to me than the BIIx.

Went today and chucked a TiCr...that thing smokes. It ate up a pile of line I had stripped off at my feet in a good 10mph wind with me wondering what happened. It felt really good, but a tad heavy, matter of fact a loaded BBS III won't balance it which to me was the ONLY downside.

I didn't try a TiCrX on purpose....afraid I might accidentally ding the vehicles in the parking lot with the yarn of the end of the leader...

Haven't made a decision yet but the process is a whole lot o fun!