Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Mr. Hartsell,

Those are great memories. I bet your father had some stories to tell. I would love to have been and adult back then when the park wasn't so busy. I look forward to reading your book. BTW my wife sometimes does some editing. Articles always look a lot better when she's done with them, so you may want to consider it. (not that you need it) She's a yankee though and tends to take some of the southern flair out

Flyman,

Thanks for the link! Makes more sense now

Mr. Casada, I think I will put a link to your book at LRO on my blog, if I can figure out how to. I only get about 7000 hits per year so far, but you never know.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-17-2009 at 06:17 PM..
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM

BlueRaiderFan--Thanks, and rest assured I can use all the publicity for the book I can possibly get. The self-publishing side of things is scary, at best, and after dozens of books with commercial publishers is a whole new world for me. One's perspective changes quite a bit when you are paying all the freight!
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Yeah, I have a friend that produces music and owns a small recording studio and it is amazing how much marketing he has to do. I can imagine the difficulties. The link is up on my blog if you want to check it out.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-16-2009 at 07:41 PM..
Old 12-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Mr. Hartsell,
That excert was great! Don't wait to publish it, cause I want to hear more!
Kris

www.flyfishtennessee.com
www.facebook.com/flyfishtennessee
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurer View Post
Mr. Hartsell,
That excert was great! Don't wait to publish it, cause I want to hear more!
Kris

No doubt, I will be reading Mr. Hartsell's book as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:11 PM

Default My thanks to you

Guys,
Thank you for the very generous comments. I sure don't feel that I am an accomplished writer in any sense of the word. I do think that if I get the book out on the market that you will enjoy reading and seeing how this sport has progressed through the years and how it has become such a pleasing activity to be involved in. It has been a blessing in my life and what a joy it has been to teach others many of the things that I have learned through the years. I'll take this moment to give thanks and credit to all of the men who came before me that helped to show me so many important things that have helped me on the stream. It has now been my privilege to "Walk this Dream" for 58 years.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 12-18-2009 at 12:35 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 10:20 AM

Hugh--Well said! Like you, I have been privileged to wade through streams of dreams thanks in large measure to a host of wonderful mentors and friends. About the only difference is that my time of living that dream is a bit longer (61 of my 67 years, although it took me three years to catch the first trout on a fly rod), and I certainly look back with a mixture of awe and gratitude to those who opened my eyes to a life filled with tight lines and fine times.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Czech Nymphing

Hey BlueRaiderFan,

There are several ways to high stick, some of which are identical to the "Czech" technique. When I was being "learnt" how to fish in the late 70's, there were at least 3 "masters' who were in their 60's that used the technique. They never used anything smaller than a size eight and were very adept at catching large browns. I was fortunate to fish with them before they hung up their rods. Depending on the situation, I use the technique occasionally. I remember one of them explaining to me that it drew more strikes vs a dead drift because it triggered the "chase" response from feeding trout as well as reducing bottom snags. My fondest memory is my dad using it on Deep Creek one July 4th many years ago. He caught over 50 browns that day.

Merry Christmas All!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 PM

Hugh,

In what part of Newport did you grow up? I grew up in Edwina along the Pigeon. Can't believe we never crossed paths??

Grampus
Old 12-21-2009, 09:35 PM

Grampus,

Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I could have been there. I wish I could find a job in that area (WNC/ET). At least I can drive from Nashville in a relatively short amount of time.