Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM

Default Newport

Grampus,
I grew up on 4th Street, in the Eastport community of Newport. My house was just a stones throw from overlooking the Pigeon River. That river has improved a lot since I was a kid.
By the way, what is your name? I was always called "Bud" when I lived there.
Hugh
Old 12-21-2009, 10:03 PM

Blue,
I took a note from you and also placed a link to Jim's book in my blog.

I could only hope to have 7,000 visits per year. I've only had it up a couple days and just got google analytics set up today so I should have some info in a few days about the visits.

I'm not sure just where I want to go with the blog yet. I know I want to have writings about fishing adventures (mine and those of friends), I want to have some meaty information and current events, some op-ed type stuff and have it laced with my, sometimes, quirky sense of humor. I just need to figure out its personality.

Jim, it is a pleasure to post a link from my blog to your book and to LRO. I've read your book a couple times and will be reading it again over the winter. I enjoy your writing.

Hugh, I'd definitely read your book and look forward to the opportunity some day. There will also be a link when it's published.

Jeff
Old 12-22-2009, 09:49 AM

Jeff--Thanks ever so much, and Merry Christmas.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Jeff,

You should easily get 7000 hits once you get it going. I use my blog link as my signature on any message baord that I use that will let me. I don't post nearly as much content as I should and stink at HTML Code. It is fun when someone makes a comment about how much I helped them with a certain river. I just hope I'm not helping people too much! No worries, there are many places that I'll never write about. Hopefully it will sell a couple of books on occasion. Take care.

Dwayne

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 12-22-2009 at 10:40 AM..
Old 12-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Grew up in Wood Acres. Cut my teeth on the Pigeon. Taught to nymph fish by Hank Maxwell, Earl Phillips, Charlie Murrell, and Elmer Leatherwood (all masters in their own right). Taught to tie flies by Kirk Jenkins, a true artist! First trip to Big Creek in the mid 70's at tender age of 13.

Grampus
Jim Parks
Old 12-22-2009, 09:12 PM

Default Man O Man!

Jim,
I've known of you for a long time by your given name, but I did not know you as Grampus. You are a great Nymph fisherman and you were in the company of the best. Some of my early flytying came through Kirk as well. Most of my early tuteledge came from Jack Shuttle. My home was just about straight across the river from Wood Acres. My Dad bought a lot there when it was first subdivided and raised strawberries for years. It was beside Walt and Leona Douglas house. I knew most of the names that you mentioned and many more that I worked with at the Can Shop. It seemed like almost everyone that worked there were trout fishermen. You might remember some of these names. Charles (Buddy) Suggs, Duvall Brookes, Delmer Lovinggood, Ovie Williams, Bud and David Baxter. They are just a few who help me along the way. I wish that we could have run into each other on the stream. Your reputation speaks for itself.
Folks, give this man a big hand. He is one of the best.
Hugh

Last edited by Hugh Hartsell; 12-22-2009 at 10:36 PM..
Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Grampus (Jim)--I hadn't thought of Kirk Jenkins in ages. I didn't know him as well, I'm sure, as you and Hugh and probably other East Tennesseans. I got to know him in the early years of teaching in the Smoky Mountain Field School. What a wonderful gentleman. Is he still living?
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-23-2009, 12:09 AM

Hugh, thanks for the kind words. I am humbled. My mother-in-law was Barbara Jo Hartsell, before she married Charlie Dunn. She passed away last year, Charlie lives on Jefferson Ave, and plays one heck of a guitar! We need to get together and share our history. I bet you've got some interesting tales.

Jim, we met way back around '87 at a conclave in Gatlinburg and shared lunch. I don't know if Kirk is still living. I moved away from his street over 25 yrs ago and lost contact. It was rumored that he "invented" the yellowhammer. It is what he taught me to tie. Do you know if this rumor has any validity? He tied them palmered on a peacock body with about 3 or 4 wraps on a size 8. I've never seen them tied that way except at Jack Suttles' shop in Newport. I believe Jack tied his own for the shop back then.

A small world it is.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:16 AM

Default History being spoken

Folks,
As insignificant as this conversation sounds, you are actually reading about the history of flyfishing in East Tenn.. and N.C. being handed down through 3 individuals who are still alive to account for it. Everybody has to wonder how something that began as a way of survival grew to be the beautiful and satisfying sport that we know now. You are reading just a few tidbits, of the people and the ways, that they perfected from the Pioneer days up to the present. Jim Casada has written in his book from the N.C. perspective as he lived it while he was growing up and into adulthood. The next book coming from the Tennessee side will just link the two history's together in a way that will just keep you hungry for the next chapter. I am sure thankful that 3 people, by some stroke of fate were able to sit down and share some of this history with all the other people on a great flyfishing board. Thanks to Byron, Paula, and Daniel for giving us the forum to tell these little stories to the world.
Hugh
Old 12-23-2009, 08:49 AM

Grampus--I remember the Conclave but not the lunch (but then there are a passel of things I don't remember--I even thought the Conclave was in 1989!). What I do recall, vividly, is leaving it after my presentation one day, driving over to Luftee in a misting rain, and having perhaps my single best brown trout day ever beneath grey, gloomy skies and amidst steady drizzle. I had laughed when some of the Conclave attendees expressed amazement I would go fishing in such conditions.
As for the yellarhammer, I doubt if Kirk "invented" it, and I'm not sure anyone knows who did. L. J. DeCuir, in his book on Southeastern flies, doesn't suggest any individual. The fly was around when I was a kid and my Dad said it was popular when he was a young man. Since he's 100 years old that suggests it wasn't Kirk.
As for Newport, as I told Hugh in a private e-mail, two of my best friends in college (I went to undergraduate school at King College, up in Bristol) were from there--Gerald O'Dell and Charlie Seehorn. Charlie and I played soccer together while Gerald and I played golf together and double-dated with girls at Sullins and Virginia Intermont on a frequent basis. I haven't seen either of them in many years, although I did talk to Charlie a few years back when I spent the night in Newport en route to a National Wild Turkey Federation convention. I think he ended his career as a high school principal or Cocke County superintendent of schools.
Small world indeed.
Merry Christmas.
Jim Casada