Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Hugh--One of my enduring regrets in life is that I didn't take more time to interview old-timers who helped me with fishing and to talk with a much wider circle who knew a great deal about the sport. I could name a dozen or more whose wisdom would have been priceless. Mind you, I didn't ignore it, but if I had only had the foresight to conduct sort of formal inteviews or, better still, do some taping, I'd know ever so much more.
The message is, of course, and it's one you are keenly aware of (as I am now), to do what the great Western artist Charlie Russell said about the Big Sky Country of Montana in the earlies--"Get it all down before it's all gone." In his case getting it down was on canvas in in other art forms, while we are talking about paper. Let's just hope others on the forum realize this is more than the meanderings of three older guys with roots running deep in the mountains. Instead, it's three people who realize you can't know where you are going (in fishing as in life) if you don't know where you've been.
What we need to do is have a sit-down conversation with several people involved and delve into fly-fishing history of the mountains. Byron, if you happen to read this, there's you a topic for Troutfest which ought to have quite a bit of general audience appeal.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-23-2009, 09:26 AM

This is very interesting. I wish you guys would get together either in person or by video, tell some of your stories, and get them recorded on audio and even video. Would be a great way to keep the thread unbroken. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 12-23-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
This is very interesting. I wish you guys would get together either in person or by video, tell some of your stories, and get them recorded on audio and even video. Would be a great way to keep the thread unbroken. Regards, Silvercreek
I'd pay good money for that video!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:25 PM

Byron,
Jim's idea is a very good one. Old timer story telling. That would be worth paying admission to hear tales of Fly Fishing in the mountains.