Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-16-2009, 05:43 PM

Default Some Raven Fork pics

Hit Raven Fork again today. Fished from about 8:30-2:15. Caught 14. Here are some pics of the better ones.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:59 PM

Looks like you gave that new rod and reel a good breaking in! Silvercreek
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM

nice pics silvercreek....those are awsome brookies ......i have been watching the post for raven fork....is the area you fish part of the reservation if so what is the cost and do i need a n.c. license to fish over there... what would be the easiest way to get there...... i'm in crossville about an hour west of knoxville...... your input and information would be apprecited
dan
Old 12-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Ahh, I'd like to take credit for those fish, but they belong to tjw37909. I'm just a spectator. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 12-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Yes I did break the rod in. I couldn't believe the difference going to a 6wt from a 5wt on the bigger fish. Fishingman, all you have to have is a $7 day Cherokee day pass and a $20 trophy section pass. The trophy pass is good for a year though. Your best bet from Crossville would be to take I40 to exit 407, take HWY66 to 441, then follow 441 through Sevierville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and across the Mtn to Gatlinburg. That section of wter is on Big Cove Rd. Do not trust your GPS once you hit the mountains.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM

tjw sorry about the wrong name on the post.....how far from gatlinburg is it to the area of water and is the road well marked....also is there a place on the way from gatliburg to stop and get the permits.....i think i might go through the park via townsend to avoid the pigeon forge traffic..... it takes me 2 and half to 3 hours to get to gatlinbug going that way ....if the weather is good i may have to give it a try over there this sunday....thaxs for your help and again sorry for the wrong name post
dan
Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 PM

No problem. You actually just go to any gas station in Cherokee to buy the permits. It is 35 miles across the mountain through the park to Cherokee. If you go Sunday it will be crowded. That section is 2.5 miles long and gets a lot of pressure on weekends. Just get there early, pick a hole, and fish it. You can fish the same hole all day there are so many fish in there. Bring some good line. I had 2 break off my 3x tippet today like it was 7x.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:05 PM

tjw,

Nice fish, somebody had a good day. That first fish looks pretty beat up, especially the mouth. I guess that is a negative to a highly pressured C&R stream. I am sure there are lots of people there who haven't crimped their barbs and have poor fish handling techniques.

Those brookies are some bruisers though.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 12-16-2009, 11:38 PM

AWESOME, tjw!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Thanks guys. If you look closely at the brookie pics, I thought it was another fish, but I believe it is the same fish an hour later. Same hole, same rock, same fly, same scars, and same markings. Those brookies fight like crazy. Most of the big bows fight like crazy or just break you off like you didn't stand a chance. The one golden I caught just gave up. He hammered a streamer and turned belly up.