Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 12-23-2009, 01:14 PM

Default Antiqua in May

Our family is finally getting a tropical vacation in the end of May. Everyone has been there except my wife and I, so I don't know much about the island.
Has anyone fished down here before? I have a 4 pc 8 wt that will travel easy, and I would love to take some time to just wander in the flats if possible.
Let me know any info you care to share. Places, flies, time of day, tide...
Thanks for the help.
-Ben
Old 12-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Never been there but judging from the map and google earth the west side of the isle looks to have the most flats. I would think that bones and cuda wouls be there, and maybe a permit or tarpon? Small crabs and shrimp patterns, bead chain eyes for the bones patterns. pink and tan colored maybe some green if there is turtle grass, big clousers and maybe some tarpon bunnies? crabs for permit, be sure to bring some wire for cuda's 8 weight is good, definetly invest in a buff, I got a pack that holds 2 water bottles (good idea) got mine at wal-mart for ten bucks or you can get the nicer ones at LRO, deffinetly get Paula to rig up your reel, 10 lb tippet should work for bones and permit, 10 lb leaders I like "RIO bonefish" would recommend a couple pairs of polarized glasses with different colored lenses, I love my vermilion ones, kinda rose pink colored but work great on bright flats. Be sure to rinse your gear after fishing! I like using craft fur on most shrimp patterns, wading shoes are important turtle grass and dead coral hurt, Oh and I got these compresion kinda lycra boxer briefs, chaffing will ruin your trip cause salt and sweat and walking miles and miles don't mix, I didn't have a problem at all, they sell em in wal-mart for like 10 bucks made by starter, well worth it! Not sure but I would bet you are gonna wanna fish the rising tide as all the fish come on the flats to feed. prospect for bones at dead low tide, you will see what looks like baseball size pot holes in the sand bottom, that is your indicator, they blow out the areas where crabs bury in and then eat the crab what is left is the little pot hole, you will see tons of em, so when the tide comes up be there and ready for em. If they arrive at 2 today, it'll be 3 tomorrow. nothing cooler than schools of 30 + bones with their tails in the air! Killer. You will probably see sharks, good rule is to not wade in to much more than like waist deep (is what I was told), the little sharks can spook the bones but you can spook the smal sharks 1-2 footer by chargin them and making a racket, which I have done and it works, don't try this on the larger ones. Strip set is vital, put it out there and if the bone rushes up and stops, he is eating, strip set and get that line hand up and out, if you strip set and don't connect stay focused because the pattern is still within his range and he may catch up and nail it. Hope this helps!

Barry

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 12-27-2009, 04:21 PM

Thanks Barry! Great Info. Now to start tying some flies.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:26 PM

Get a good rod tube for your flight and make sure it is strong enough for the rigor of the trip...

-I would take a couple of different rod weights (even if you have to go buy a cheap one at Bass Pro).
-Take some rod oil and a fine brush to clean your rod and reel each day. (clean it each day or you will be sorry).
-Take some different types of indicators and floats so that you will have options for drifting the fly.

*Anything brass will get tarnished in saltwater - so clean asap...

And, can I go with you?
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-28-2009, 04:39 PM

It looks to me from the map that there are some drop-offs so I would not be without some heavy leaded clousers, might wanna bring a spinning rod with bucktail jogs for some grouper action, yum, Are you taking a cooler with you? If so a couple frozen shrimp bait containers could really help with putting some eatin fish on the table. Madison is right about rinsing that gear off, and beware of ceiling fans as they have been know to ruined many rod tips abroad! Make sure your reel has plaenty of backing and make sure to set drag light for bones, yank line off the reel and adjust the drag from light to tight such that when you yank the line it does not double up or rat nest, that is tight enough. dem bones will peel line like crazy, let em go, thats what you are there for! Good Luck

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM

Starting to get a bit more excited for this trip. New flies will be tied here soon, so LRO better be stocked up...(as always). Thanks again everyone for the advice. Hopefully I can hook into a couple and bring them back to the resort to eat.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Man you are gonna have a blast! Saltwater, stalking the flats, so much fun! I am really interested to here about your trip and what Antigua is like, when are you going again? What patterns are you tying?

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 AM

We are leaving May 29th and we will be there a week. My mother in-law has a time share through Disney resorts and we got a good deal on a room for the week. I'm not sure where it is located yet on the island. Our transportation will be limited unless I can get in good with some locals who work there. I am going to stop down to LRO soon and get one of their saltwater tying books and start looking at it and comparing it to what I have found on line so far. I will make sure I post some pics of the flies I am tying. And I will be sure to post some pictures when I return.
Thanks again.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:04 AM

Well I would bring for bones: Crazy Charlies, Gotchas, a few bonefish bitters, and some silly legs and anything else that looks shrimpy, tan, white,and pink also a few in green in case you fish turtle grass, size 2,4/6/ and maybe a few blinds, go from led eys, to bead chain but you want that fly to get on the bottom.

Permit: crab patterns a variety, also some crabs for bones too

Clousers blue and whit, chart and white, natrual bucktail/white for jacks and various reef grouper

Bring a big baitfish imination with a lot of flash and a wire leader 6-8 inches or so ready, cuda's and shark,

One of the best things bout the salt is that often they are gonna eat if it looks close! Have a great time!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)