Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Dewayne,
Here is a bit of wisdom from many past trips. First, everything that all the people who have responded to you have said are very, very true. Abrams Creek is a very dangerous creek, especially to people who aren't familiar with it. If you do make the trip with your sister, walk about 100feet below the confluence of Mill Creek and Anthony Creek and take your sister out into the long flat pool. It is not very dangerous and you can work on the casting lessons in safety. After working on the casting techniques, let her fish back upstream to the footbridge. There are some decent trout right through that section and it 's not too dangerous. As for yourself, and a later trip on downstream to fish the section that you first mentioned, it will take most of the day to fish all of that stretch properly. Give yourself some time and experience to get to know this creek. You'll live to fish much longer if you do.
Hugh
Old 12-28-2009, 12:45 PM

Fun place to fish! Like most have said; it is super slick and the slickest place I have ever fished. My brother took an impromptu dunking and I came close a few times.

There are some large fish in there...

I liked the seclusion and privacy at the shoe...

*Always thought if you brought one of those float tubes that you could hike in from the bottom and just float back out...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 PM

Guys thanks for all of the info and guidance! I have two books on fishing in the Smokies and neither of them comes close to the info I get on here. I will look into the spring creeks and hopefully we can catch one. She has never even been able to get one baitcasting, so I would like to help her get her first on a fly rod.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM

As a newbie to flyfishing this was one of the first creeks to grab my attention as a spot to go. Is it really that though to wade or fish? My experince has been in rocky bottom creeks in VA and WVA.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM

I know this: I was wading in the park one day just off the road by the LR and I came into a stretch of rock that I don't know what was on it, but it was slicker than owl **** and I had felt soled boots on. If it's anything like that stretch, it is SLICK!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 08:40 PM

Slicker then snot on a doorknob...i've done many a slick rock shuffle to much of my embarrassment - take a wading staff for sure, but thats no guarantee it'll keep you upright. But don't let that scare ya off, I think we've all been baptized in its soft waters- maybe a rite of passage as it were...personally I like the spring section, though not much wading there - you do and you've already spooked most the fish in that stretch... doing some bankside spot n stalk, find the undercut banks here and there, or hit the current breaks make fish more agreeable to catching. Have the smokey side arm casting down and highstick in your presentation quiver. The waters can be gin clear as smooth as glass make it it tough- but a fun challenge. However, if you can catch it slightly high and stained - magic, man...there are some brusier in there as smokey 'bows go - I've got proof if a buddy of mine will ever send me the pix of his pentax - hint, hint if your reading this... :-O
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Default Spring Creek

Caught a trout last winter in the Spring Creek section of Abrams when the air temp was 29 and the water temp was 53. Having said that, haven't caught another fish there since.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 12-30-2009, 11:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

forge creek comes down from gregory bald trail head area to cable mill area....you would cross over it when you begin parson's branch road.
two cemeteries in area of parson's branch access....boring and post
Old 12-30-2009, 01:57 PM

I have driven by Forge Creek many times over those wooden bridges and always thought it looked like it would be a good stream to fish but never have seen anyone fishing it or heard much about it.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:10 PM

Is the "Spring Creek" section the one that runs through the cow pasture?