Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM

I was fishing the Horseshoe on Abrams Creek with a friend. I began to feel kinda wierd and whispered to him "I think we are being watched." We saw no one. After a few more minutes I looked around again and still felt like I was being watched. I whispered again "We are being watched." Still no one around. I was now unnerved. I searched the stream sides carefully and suddenly the buck that was standing in the water downstream snorted and leaped out of the water onto shore. That animal like to have filled up my waders! Man was he good and in camo!

AND ANOTHER

I was fishing below the Elkmont bridge on Little River and heard a car screeching its tires on the road as it went off the road, airborne and into the river just below me. I ran down stream and got there just as the occupants got out of the upside down vehicle. I spent the next couple of hours helping Ranger Ken Slay recover their belongings from the river. Would you believe he then asked to see my creel and my license!

AND ANOTHER

This huge craw dad claw...

This was on Hazel Creek....don't know that I want to stick my toes back in that water!!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 04:38 PM

Jeff--I loved the creel and license check story, and it looks like someone turned a lobster loose on Hazel Creek and that it mated with crayfish! Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-02-2010, 12:14 AM

Isn't that the largest claw you have ever seen!
Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Default Claw

That's about an average claw here in south MS. We eat them things. Yummy!
Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 AM

Default Not strange, but funny

I was fishing one day in may of '08 the water had been high but was going down and almost back to normal. I was fishing a dry dropper with good success till a slightly mis-gauged cast that ill blame on the wind resulted in me catching a tree that someone had put in my way . Well i broke my line loose and pulled it back in and started to re-rig. While I was tying on my flies i noticed something out of the corner of my eye and and glanced up and on the other side of the stream i see this long brown object on top of the water that i just passed off as a log, being the water was high. I went back to tying and it hit me that, that log was moving up stream I look up again and realize it was a beaver no more than 20 ft from me. Having never seen a beaver up close and in the wild i just stood there and admired him. Then the guy turned and started coming right towards me. I stood still as a fence post till i realized he was getting a little close for comfort. (Jeff Foxworthy's nipple biting beaver story came to mind) I let him get a rods length from me and i jumped and flung my arms out to the sides and watched his eyes get as big as cue balls (hahaha i laugh everytime i think about this) He turned his rear to me and flapped that tail on the water and just soaked me and headed off down stream slapping that tail the whole way. i started laughing and lost my footing and fell flat on my tail in the water. It was hilarious. One of those times you wish you had a camera and someone in the bushes taping it. It was great. That beaver was totally not expecting that.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:32 AM

Default otterly ridiculous

about 4 or 5 years ago, my dad and i were fishing at blanchard springs in arkansas during christmas break. snow on the ground and a normally crowded spring-fed stream was nicely vacant, except for some furry would-be thieves. Had a nice stringer of maybe 3 or 4 fish tied to the bank. started wandering upstream further and further from my supper. Luckily I looked back in time to see an otter trying to sneak up to where my stringer was. I dropped my rod and began running towards it...and it didn't immediately take off as i hoped it would. instead, it paused a moment, waited for me to get a little closer and jumped in..right where my fish were. thankfully i was somehow able to snatch the fish on shore before that furry fish stealer got its paws on them.

as for east tn incidents...2 years ago during the summer i was walking back to my ride along the tremont road. I was approaching a waterfall and noticed movement close to it. 2 hippe-chicks were standing under it, barely clothed in tie-dyed garb and just enjoying the weather. an earlier post mentioned something about nymphs... i belive these two were closer to sirens..
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM

Over the years, I've seen alot of strange things. Several years ago, something funny happened to me that, in the moment, is something that I will never forget. I was fishing the Oconaluftee River behind the visitor center. It was mid morning on a Thursday and I had the area to myself, or so I thought. I was engrossed in fishing a nice, long run when something caught my eye to the left. I looked up and saw a half dozen indians in full authentic dress (not the Chief Ralph flowing head dresses in town). These guys were quietly stalking through the woods with weapons in had and full war paint. Suddenly, I felt as though I had travelled back a few hundred years. I'm thinking to myself "This can't be good..."

Suddenly, someone somewhere back in the woods yelled, "CUT!!". The warriors stopped in their tracks and I was asked to leave the area as I had quietly become involved in a documentary that was being filmed about the Cherokee indians.

Though the fishing was good, I was outnumbered, so I left.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:21 PM

In May of 08 I was fishing the gravel road section of Tremont ,and was amazed
to witness a great number of butterflies. The air was thick with large butterflies fluttering over the water. There were wads of butterflies
puddling on the gravel road, and many were squashed by cars. I had never seen so many butterflies in one place.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Rivergal--This butterfly behavior is known as "puddling" and is quite commonplace along Park roads and trails where horses can travel. There's something about urine (probably salt) which attracts the butterflies. If you spend much time in the backcountry, especially along the trails where horses are allowed, you'll see lovely examples of puddling. Tiger swallowtails, in particular, seem to do this a lot.
Off hand, it's the sole thing I can think of positive to say about horses and Park trails. To me they are an abomination, and the damage they do to trails, especially in steep terrain, is enormous. It flies squarely in the face of sound environmental stewardship, but I don't think any Park superintendent has ever had the intestinal fortitude to address the issue. Certainly that's the feeling I've gotten in reading responses to letters written to various superintendents over the years. I get the feeling they aree with me but in typical bureaucratic fashion are afraid to stir the pot.
Along those general lines though, I will give the current superintendent credit for having taken a stance against allowing Cherokees to harvest ramps at will in the Park. There's a lawsuit on this matter at present, with the tribe putting clout and money behind it. They may well win, because native Americans have tended to win in similar situations elsewhere. However, if they can harvest ramps at will and in whatever quantity they desire, where will it stop? Ginseng might be next, or trout in unlimited quantities, but where it would really get interesting is with elk. After all, the tribal members could accurately claim, as they are doing with ramps, that killing elk is a part of their historic tradition. I guess I've stirred enough pots here so I'll shut my pie hole (or whatever the equivalent of that is when using a computer). Jim Casada
Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews

First meadow of Slough Creek, two different years. These are piling up up there--the wolves use it as a primary feeding ground in winter, when even the big bulls can't escape in the heavy snow.

I just realized that I'm holding the same set of antlers in both shots there. That's 3 years apart.

I've also seen otters, beavers, bellycrawlers, deer, hogs, grouse, woodcock--everything that walks or swims or slithers, except bear, funnily enough.

Middle Tennessee.

Have had a gun drawn on me on two different occasions by the same ex-cop (night fishing in Arkansas).

Destroyed a car when I hit a deer driving to the river (also in Arkansas).

Also saw some things it'd be better I didn't put on the internet.

Come to think of it, most of the weird things I've seen or had happen to me have been while fishing.