Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-04-2010, 09:05 AM

Happy new year to everyone! I am hoping for another Hazel Creek trip this year and maybe an Eagle Creek trip as well. But even more than that in 2010 I hope to do some more small stream spec fishing in the park. I don't mind the rain so much and I wonder if 2010 will be as wet as 2009. In any case it will be fun to get out there and hopefully run across some of you all out on the streams.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBrookie View Post
Following a relocation from WV, I look forward to exploring more new water in 2010.

I want to explore some small streams in Northern Kentucky for possibly smallmouth, redeyes, etc. I even added a 5wt bamboo to my arsenal just for this (my first rod over a 4wt). I also have some intel from the KY DNR on where to add another state to my brook trout list.

I look forward to exploring more waters in the Smokies. I received Mr. Casada's new book yesterday and I can't wait to get into it!

Also, if things work out as planned, I plan to complete the California Heritage Trout Challenge and add six new salmonid species to my life list - now at 14.

Bring it on!

Happy New Year

WV, you may already know this, but I thought I would pass it on. There is a FFF group in Northern Kentucky if you are interested. Met a couple of guys from their club a few years back and they were nice fellows. Here is a link:

http://www.nkyflyfishers.org/

Here's to a great 2010 everyone.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Jeff and Tim,

Thanks for the information! I'm a looong ways from what I consider trout country. I'll make the best of it....I'm a glass half full guy.

I'm actually closer now to the Smokies than I am my WV brookie streams, so if anyone wants to hook up for a weekend trip to either drop me a line.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 01-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Told the wife I was not going to make any New Year resolutions but....I hereby resolve to do more "wet" fishing this year especially back to my grandfather's ways of wet flies and not just nymphs....and being so far from my beloved mountains I resolve to catch my first fish on a fly in saltwater....both should be easier than going on a diet.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:22 PM

Chris,
There are some trout up at Brookville if you don't mind more or less urban fishing in a tailwater. They are not wild but there are more than a few hold overs. I've pulled a couple 19+" browns out of there. Size 20 and smaller midges and hoppers in the summer. Pretty standard tail water stuff.

You are so right though, Northern Kentucky is a far way off from classic trout water, but our bass, bluegill and crappie will grow on you.

With all the snow we got today, fishing seems like a long way off.
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBrookie View Post
Jeff and Tim,

Thanks for the information! I'm a looong ways from what I consider trout country. I'll make the best of it....I'm a glass half full guy.

I'm actually closer now to the Smokies than I am my WV brookie streams, so if anyone wants to hook up for a weekend trip to either drop me a line.

Thanks,
Chris