Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Old Tom--Many grocery stores sell them, but of course that presents the "Pig in a poke" problem. If you are in Bryson City at the present you might want to check with the guy out Needmore way (close to Maple Springs) who does custom butchering and sells meat. I don't think it likely he renders the fat into lard but he might well know someone who does.
Jim Casada
Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM

Old Tom--Many grocery stores sell them, but of course that presents the "Pig in a poke" problem. If you are in Bryson City at the present you might want to check with the guy out Needmore way (close to Maple Springs) who does custom butchering and sells meat. I don't think it likely he renders the fat into lard but he might well know someone who does.
Jim Casada
Old 01-09-2010, 05:40 PM

A bear is about as bad as a hog for eating anything......but when camping, we never worried about pulling our potatoes up in a tree.....a bear won't touch'em. As mentioned before, they are mighty good fried along with a mess of trout.
GM
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM

As I sit here this morning and the therometer says 5 degrees this thread provided a little warmth. I started thinking about grilling a few trout stuffed with a clove of garlic and sun dried tomatoes.

But atlast I'm chicken and just can't find the intestional fotitude to wade a stream to catch the trout this morning. I'm up for starting the grill if someone else will take the plundge so to speak.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

i remember a morning in july over 30 years ago, i caught 4 nice rainbows.....early morning....had fresh maters....fried the trout in meal and oil....best breakfast trout and maters...oh, and coffee
Old 01-10-2010, 10:03 PM

Mmmmm....fried green maters?
Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 PM

Default eats

You guys make my mouth water for all that good stuff. However, I say let the trout stay in the water. I much prefer bass or bream to trout. (personal taste of course) Never have acquired a taste for trout. My wife and I have tried it many times and in different ways and still do not care for it. The rest of all your suggestions is "good to go".
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 PM

Never eaten any bass, but I LOVE panfish!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:17 PM

As somewhat of a re-rail, I had never been fond of trout but had never had a wild trout until this past summer. My daughter and I ate two trout caught from Deep Creek cooked with no more seasoning than a little salt and pepper on a grill over an open fire. I really didn't expect much but the fish was excellent, as good as any I have ever had. It was mild and almost sweet. I was surprised and had no idea there was such a difference in stocked fish and wild ones.

I look forward to the day I can eat another. It's just hard to improve on nature.