Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Default Arizona fishing blog

Hey all,

I haven't posted here in awhile, but I thought some folks might be interested in a fly fishing blog I've started up. It will focus primarily on Arizona stream fishing, since my wife and I moved to Flagstaff back in August, but it also recounts a bunch of fishing adventures over the past spring and summer, through a number of states. I'm still working on getting the entries up to date, but check it out, if you're interested, here is the address: http://oakcreekangler.blogspot.com

By the way, I just fished Oak Creek, my new home water near Flagstaff, a few days ago--caught several wild Browns during a BWO hatch, including a lovely 18" hen on a #20 olive parachute sparkle dun...not bad for early January!

Tight lines, Iain
Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 PM

Beautiful area you live in. I vacationed there two years ago, and took my fly fishing gear along with me. However, Oak Creek looked like chocolate milk the entire time I was there due to heavy snowfall and rain prior to our arrival.

Next time I am out that way, I am planning on trying for some Apache trout.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 01-08-2010, 05:40 PM

Hey Travis, sorry to hear that Oak Creek was out of shape when you visited...it is a wonderful stream when running clear, with more wild, spooky Browns than some folks realize.

I caught a few native Apaches this summer for the first time, they are beautiful trout, and often in scenic settings to match; I intend to pursue them more next season. If you need some suggestions on where to look for them, let me know...

Tight lines, Iain
Old 01-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Wow, beautiful. I would love to fish that stream. I'm now "following" your blog.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 PM

BlueRaiderFan,
Thanks for checking out the blog, glad you enjoy it, I'll try to post on a regular basis. Yeah, the scenery around that stream can be pretty spectacular. If you do happen to be in northern AZ to fish Oak Creek, let me know, and I'll try and point you in the right direction...
Iain
Old 01-10-2010, 12:52 AM

Ian, will do. Never thought about AZ as a fishing destination, but now I do!
Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 AM

Aboslutely amazing! I really enjoyed your Alaska recap!

I haven't gone beyond the Alaska reports, have you caught the Apache trout in the eastern area of the state? They are on my "life list" and I had planned to add them in 2009 but...crap happens!

Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 01:18 PM

Hey Chris,
I'm glad you like the blog, and yeah, I did catch a few Apaches, they are beautiful fish; I just posted an entry on the Black River in eastern AZ that includes a section on them. I intend to pursue them more this coming season. If you intend to head out in search of Apache trout, and need some suggestions on places to go, let me know...
Iain
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM

Hey Westslope,
My wife and I live in Connecticut but want to move there someday and retire in the Flagstaff area. Been out there many times. Love it out there.
I'm on AZ Fly & Tie site too.
Plan on bringing the fly rod with me on our next trip in 2011. Haven't been there since 2001. 10 long years. I miss the beer at Mogollon Brewery. ;-)
I'll be in touch before we head out for some advice if that's OK.
Enjoy it out there!
A.T.
PS. KILLER BLOG!!!!!
Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 AM

Those of you with experience in Arizona. I'm going to be in the area to the southeast of Tucson down toward the border in Early May. We'll be hiking and camping in the mountains and desert. Being extremely unfamiliar with the area is there any fishing in the Mountains of Southeast Arizona?

Randall Sale
The Kytroutbum