Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 AM

Apache Trout,
I'm glad you like the blog, and yeah, Flagstaff is a great spot; my wife and I love living there. I'll have to check out the AZ Fly & Tie site as well, I haven't yet. And feel free to contact me for fly fishing advice; I'll do my best and try to provide useful information!

Randall (aka Kytroutbum),
I haven't fished down in SE Arizona (yet), but I plan to in the near future. Some isolated small streams do exist in several mountain ranges down there, including the Santa Catalina Mtns just NE of Tucson, and the much larger Chiracahuas, towards the SE corner of the state. Some of these streams are supposed to contain trout, particularly the headwaters of Sabino Canyon in the Santa Catalinas (self-sustaining Browns, although not easy to access, from what I've heard, but probably your best bet on finding a thriving trout population). As for the Chiracahuas (and I suspect you might be hiking around here, from what you wrote), the entire range is supposed to be rugged and beautiful, and there may be several trout-bearing streams, although a fire back in 1994 likely decimated pretty much all of them, according to a fishing guide I've poured through...Good luck, let me know how you do, and shoot me an e-mail if you need more info!

Tight lines, Iain
Old 01-15-2010, 10:17 AM

Default Oak Creek

Westslope,

I fished that stream twice. I have attended a couple of conferences in Phoenix and stayed over for the weekend. It is a beautiful place and I had a lot of success the first time I went. The second trip was later in the year and temperatures had dropped dramatically Friday so fishing Saturday was cold and slow. It is a beautiful place.

What did you use to create you blog? It looks great!

I don't live just to fish, but I want to fish just as long as I live.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Hey Don,

Thanks for the positive response on the blog--I just used a template (one of the more spare templates, with the black background; this one seems to showcase the photos more, in my mind) through the Blogger site, and tinkered with it a bit to my preferences.

As you said, Oak Creek is a beautiful place, and can provide some solitude and wildness, despite the crowds that can descend in certain spots, throughout much of the summer. The fishing can be fickle there, productive at times, and stingy at others; often challenging yet rewarding, especially for the wild Browns...I feel pretty fortunate to have easy access to such a gem of a trout stream.

Iain
Old 01-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks Iain.
I'll be in touch and I'm sure any of your advice will be useful.
Keep up the great work on the blog.
Thanks again.
A.T.