Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-19-2010, 03:18 PM

Default humphrey's dvd

anyone seen Joe Humphrey's nymphing dvd?I watched it the other night.He took his nymphs and rubbed them on wet rocks to get any foreign scents off them and to ruff them up.I had never seen anyone do that before,wonder if it works.It's a real good dvd,he tries his best to explain how he fishes nymphs,in different waters.His rigs,casting techniques,and sinker weight relative to multi nymph rigs relative to the velocity of the current of the stream was pretty technical but he catches lots of fish and he's a master fly fisherman,which doesn't hurt anything.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 PM

Dave Whitlock does that as well with nymphs.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 PM

Any advice that Joe gives about fly fishing...Do IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Default Dvd

Where can I get this wonderful bit of information? They don't sell stuff like that down here in south Mississippi.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Lauxier--Joe is an absolute jewel and a grand fisherman, but I wonder a bit about the scent thing. I was under the impression most fish had little if any sense of smell, with members of the catfish clan being a notable exception. However, I don't know that I've ever read anything scientific on the matter one way or the other. If there is a fisheries biologist out there, please advise.
Having just said this, I do know that one of the major "hardware" fishing companies makes some kind of scented trout bait which is supposed to work very well.
Jim Casada
Old 01-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Default jim casada

I watched the Joe H. nymphing dvd because I have trouble nymph fishing,detecting strikes etc.I'm sure I don't set the hook enough when the line pauses or stops.I usually don't use an indicator.I've caught several fish over the years fishing a nymph.Like I said J.H.'s DVD is quite technical but there's lot's to learn here,Joe is above all,a teacher,I watched his other DVD on dry fly fishing in heavy cover,it is a great dvd as he explains various casting techniques to use when covered up by foliage,canopy,trees,logs,or anything limiting your ability to cast,and his pointers work,if you'll do as he says.Nymphing is harder to explain because so much of it has to do with a fishing sense,that's unexplainable.I don't think there are very many really good nymph fisherman,most are like me.. good intentions,intent on trying,but with the abilities and talent of an average to average- average fisherman.Joe makes it all look easy and that's good because we want "easy" when we are on a stream,but when we finally get to the reality of nymphing on a stream,we realize the "easy" is harder than hades and Joe's "easy"comes from decades of learned and practiced fishing,which he shares on his dvd's.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Jim, I'm no scientist of this subject, but trout are a member of the salmon family, and salmon apparently have an excellent sense of smell. Maybe it carries over to their freshwater relatives. Don't know for sure. My preferred way of removing human and chemical scents from my flies is to drag them through tree leaves on the backcast. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 01-22-2010, 11:37 AM

I can not speak for trout, but most saltwater fish have a keen sense of smell, Including sea trout or the other speckled trout. One of my favorite passions is getting sheepshead to eat a fly on oyster and grass flats as the flood, sort of north Florida's Permit when it comes to fly fishing. I believe one of the reasons they are so hard to catch on fly is their strong sense of smell. You can throw the perfect crab imitation right in there face as they are nosed down feeding and 95% of the time they will ignore it. You throw a mangled up crushed fiddler on a hook and they will devour it. Just my 2 cents on fish and smell.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:52 PM

Anyone who has ever met Mr. Humphreys will tell you he is
truly a man of class.

He always gives other's credit and their due.

He doesn't say things to make himself seem bigger, just the opposite.

As far as any of his videos/DVDs or books are concerns,
you can't go wrong.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:11 AM

You guys don't rub your nymphs on some native? I guess I must be the only fly tyer that washes his flies in some bottled river water before using them...?
to choose, to respond, to change.”