Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Default So I ordered an Old 'boo

Just ordered a 9' ,3/2, 5/6wt Horricks- Ibbotson Vernley Registered refinished 'boo rod. It'll be used out in Colorado, thats why I went longer and heavier. Anyone have a clue as to what type of line I should throw on it and if an orvis BBS II would work as a reel.

Thanks,
bones
Old 02-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Talk to Daniel at LRO and get Walter Babbs information. He is one of the best I can think of on knowledge of cane rods. Another well educated person on cane is GMREEVES who is a builder and very talented young man who is on this board. GMREEVES goes to the nth degree on his work and his knowledge even though he is still a young and newer builder. I have been to both mens shops and talked extensively with each. Either of these men could probably give you some very sound advise on this subject.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the kudos Flyred! As far as what line to throw on your new acquisition, I would say take it to a local fly shop that has several lines rigged for demo rods and cast them. I'm not familiar with the rod but it won't hurt to cast as many different lines as you can on it. I have cast just about every type of modern line on my cane rods and they all seem to have there place. I have cast DT, WF, SA GPX, SA XPS, Several different Rio's, some Teeny Sink Tips, Cortlands, and Wulff Triangle tapers. One thing to consider is the size of the guides. If they are really small, as most older rods were built for casting silk lines, you may need to go with a smaller diameter line. Depending on the year your rod was made, this could be a factor. I did some quick research and it looks like the Vernley was from between the 30's and 50's and the first plastic lines started showing up in the 50's. Enjoy the rod and post pictures of your fish with it for all of us cane junkies.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Probably looking at getting a Hardy Cascapedia or Bougle for a reel. In the diameters for 5/6/7 weight lines they weigh in at 5 to 6 oz.

The description of my rod says it's impregnated; whats that mean?

Also I've seen sveral reels, on dare I say it, E-bay. Am I wasting my time looking there? Several Hardy's and other neat looking reels under $200.00. Getting pretty confused, as modern reels for modern rods, are listed by line weight, not diameter or model number.

Last edited by bones; 02-28-2010 at 11:14 AM..
Old 03-01-2010, 12:49 PM

If you're going to swing a classic Boo rod then you need to spool it up with some Silk DT fly line. There is a fellow that sells hand woven silk dt lines on EBAY.
My humble Opinion.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:31 PM

IT GOT HERE TODAY!! Pretty rod to look at, stickers are all there and the bag is original and in mint condition. Yes, as everyone has told me, it weighs a ton but is very supple in action (I'd rate it at a true medium) just a little faster than my Hardy glass. Lawn cast it with a WF6F and a DT5S throws each equally well. Both lines are Cortland 444. gmreeves said, the guides may be small, very true of the stripper but the rest seem just slightly smaller than usual. Them old timers must ahve spent a lot on lines, seems as if a guide this tight would fray something like silk.

Gonna take an anchor to balance it!
Old 03-02-2010, 01:30 AM

Very cool. Once you get an older reel (not space age technologh) that rod will balance out a littel better and not feel so heavy in the hand. If you wanted to go on the chearper side and still get a vintage reel to go with that rod, you could look at the Phlueger Medalists from that time frame. That is most likely what was used on that rod since it wasn't a high end rod of the day. I doubt many anlgers back then were fishing Hardy reels.I'm no reel expert but most of the produciton rods were probably paired with reels made by Ocean City and that type reel with the Medalist as being the more expensive. There are definately more expensive vintage reels out there like the Dingley's, Hardy's, J.W. Youngs, etc but they would have been on the higher dollar cane rods of the day. As far as silk lines are concerned, they are supposed to last a lifetime if they are treated well. You can still find them on old reels and restore them to almost new conditions. That's another project for you right there. The are quite a bit smaller than today's plastic lines so they will shoot through those smaller guides but I think you will be fine with the modern lines. If you are concerned about it, you could buy the Corland Sylk lines which are smaller in diameter and supposed to be closer to silk lines. I have heard mixed reviews about them though. All that said, lets see some pictures so us cane nuts can drool!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM

Here she is

Pristine bag

Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 AM

Nice. It looks like it is in great condition.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 AM

That is a nice rod. I'm intrigued by the multi-color wrappings. Never seen that before.