Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 01-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Default My Intro

I wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have been an avid fisherman my whole life. I have always fished the warmer water lakes and rivers in East TN for the normal fare of largemouth, smallmouth, crappie, walleye, sauger, catfish, red eye, etc. Last May, and I don't know where this came from, I had a thought. I thought to myself, why haven't I tried fishing for trout? I live reasonably close to the waters they inhabit and I should give it a try. My first trip was to a cold mountain stream, one where the water took your breath it was so cold. The air temp. was in the 80's and the water felt so refreshing. The solitude was unmatched and the scenery, breathtaking. Finally, after some time wading and probably spooking every fish around, I hooked a fish and the fight was on. What an acrobat she was, a beautiful mountain trout, my first. Her beautiful colors put me in awe. She somehow connected me to all who had ever ventured up a cold mountain stream, rod in hand. Needless to say, I too had been hooked. I had feelings about fishing I had never felt while warm water fishing. Feelings I don't think can be described, not by myself anyway. That was almost a year ago. My passion for trout fishing continues to grow as does my love for that magical place that is our Smoky Mountain stream. I have only been spinfishing for the trout, thus far. I have been given a fly rod and reel but don't know how to work it. I can only imagine I will become only more enamored with the sport when I have a fish rise to a fly that I have so meticulously tied myself. I have been a guest to this forum for some time since I began trout fishing. I have enjoyed reading and learning. There is much knowledge here and what a great way to share it. Thanks for reading.

Birdman
Old 01-15-2010, 06:50 PM

Welcome Birdman, You do not say where you are in East Tennesse, but there should be some one around who can teach you the basics of using a fly rod. If not there are a ton of videos on the web that can give you an idea. When you learn to use that fly rod for trout the magic will be complete There is just somethhing about it that cannot be described. Good fishing. Silvercreek
Old 01-16-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Welcome Birdman, You do not say where you are in East Tennesse, but there should be some one around who can teach you the basics of using a fly rod. If not there are a ton of videos on the web that can give you an idea. When you learn to use that fly rod for trout the magic will be complete There is just somethhing about it that cannot be described. Good fishing. Silvercreek
Thanks. I forgot to mention I live in Rogersville. Also, I have bought two of Ian Rutter's books as well as Jim Casada's latest. I have read through Ian's and am just 40-50 pages into Jim's. I have already learned a lot through these, especially Jim's.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:47 PM

Birdman, went to college with a girl from Rogersville. Went to her wedding in Rogersville, and it looked like a neat little town. Little River Outfitters teaches fly fishing. Hugh Hartsell frequents this site and teaches and guides on the Holston not far from you. He runs Smoky Mountain Guide Service out of Morristown. I'm sure others have more suggestions for professional classes. Good luck, Silvercreek
Old 01-16-2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercreek View Post
Birdman, went to college with a girl from Rogersville. Went to her wedding in Rogersville, and it looked like a neat little town. Little River Outfitters teaches fly fishing. Hugh Hartsell frequents this site and teaches and guides on the Holston not far from you. He runs Smoky Mountain Guide Service out of Morristown. I'm sure others have more suggestions for professional classes. Good luck, Silvercreek
Thanks for the info! I'm sure a guided trip would be just what I need to get started with the fly rod. I checked my rod and it is an 8 foot 7wt. rod. What type of water would this be good for? Rogersville is a quaint little town with a lot of history. Tennessee's oldest courthouse, first newspaper, first post office, and oldest lodge are here. Davy Crockett's granparents house is just across and down the street from me. The house I live in, circa 1900, was at one time a lodge as well. My wife is from Brentwood, TN. We are there a few times a year visiting her family. I met her at Tennessee Tech., in Cookeville. I am very remorseful that I spent almost 5 years so close to the Caney Fork to have never fished it. I'll have to make up for that lost time later as I progress.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:16 PM

You'll get a lot of differing opinions, but for my taste, the 7wt is a little heavy for the mountains and even the tailwaters depending on what you are throwing. It would be good for streamers and woolly buggers, but heavy for midge and other small flies. Not that you can't make it work. You would just get a softer presentation of the fly with a lighter weight line. I think you will find it easier to learn to cast with the rod you have since you will get more feel of the line loading the rod. Again, this is just an opinion and my preferences. If you get into this sport, you'll end up thinking you need a different fly rod for ever conceivable type of water. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks again for the info Silvercreek.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:44 AM

Is the lack of a warm welcome here due to the fact that I don't fly fish yet or is it because not many view the new members threads? I mean no disrespect. I am just wondering if I have offended some by posting here before I have fly fished for trout.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:55 AM

No, I don't think it is any thing personal Birdman. The fishing is slow, and I have noticed a big decrease in postings over the last few months. I think it is just a general lack of activity on the board. Can't imagine you offended anyone. They are just sulking because they can't get out and fish due to the weather and high water. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 01-29-2010, 10:33 AM

Default Good morning

Hello Birdman,
I hope that I did not sound standoffish, but I just read this thread. I wanted to say hello to you from a nearby neighbor in Morristown. My name is Hugh Hartsell and I want to welcome you to the world of flyfishing and LRO. You are just stepping into a new world of sport fishing that will grab hold of you and it just won't let go. Don't worry, you'll enjoy every minute of it. The flyrod that you mentioned probably will fit a little better into fishing for Smallmouth and Rockfish just above and below the dam at John Sevier Steamplant. You might want to go a little lighter for trout. We all want to see you get head over heels into this sport and if I can help in some way, fell free to call me or click onto my website for a ton of information. The same goes for all the people on this board. They are very knowledgeable and they want to help in any way that they can. Let us know what some of your thoughts are about this new sport and get ready for lots of good answers.
Hugh