Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 01-18-2010, 10:35 PM

Default New to GSMNP....question

Hello from Charleston, SC. I have been fishing for many years and for one reason or another have not spent any time in the GSMNP. I am planning a trip in late April and need to find a place to camp for a few days. Any suggestions on camping spots would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:51 PM

My favorite camping spot is Elkmont Campground in the Park just above the Park HQ...the campground is on the Little River and you can fish right there or hike as high as you wish....you are also within a short drive to the WP of the Little Pigeon, the Road Prong, Greenbrier and Cosby...because it is in the Park there are no hook ups or showers...plenty of restrooms and water....great campsites plenty of fishing
Old 01-19-2010, 01:43 PM

Hey LongSpur, I am from Charleston but live up here on the NC side of the park, I would second what Rog said, I love Elkmont, good fishing for sure and plenty of good water all around you. You chase reds down there? Good Stuff!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-19-2010, 01:47 PM

You may already know this, but you can see the campground layout, see camp site availability and reserve campsites on line. I thought I had the web site bookmarked, but apparently not. A web search should produce it. Silvercreek
Old 01-19-2010, 07:09 PM

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm

Here is the park's website with info and a link to reserve online. Hope this helps.

Birdman
Old 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM

Thanks for all of the good info, I will set up shop the last week in April for a few days and check out the park. Carolina Boy, always chasing the reds down here.....love winter time fishing, lots of fish and no other boats!
I am sure i will have more questions....thanks again.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

longspur870--I assume, from your "handle" and before getting to the matter at hand, that you are, like me, a hopelessly lost member of the Tenth Legion. It's a wonderful affliction and, as a matter of fact, I'm taking a break from work on a turkey book to make this post.
All the other respondents have assumed you want a frontcountry campsite, but that isn't certain from your post. If heading to the backcountry, the two lower sites on Forney Creek are excellent choices on the N. C. side while somewhere on the headwaters of Little River should beckon on the TN. side.
Elkmont is a lovely site but I'd make a pitch for Smokemont being equally attractive from the standpoint of giving ready access to a bunch of fine water.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 PM

Thanks to Jim and all of the other post. I do fall into the ranks of the Tenth Legion and also plan my fishing trip this spring around time in the turkey woods. Would love to hear your ideas on a good place to do that up in the hills as well.
I will start at Smokemont to get my bearings then move into the backcountry for a couple days.
I look forward to reporting back!
Old 01-27-2010, 04:00 PM

Longspur 870--I assume you realize you can't hunt in the Park, but it's a wonderful place to listen to and photograph turkeys. If you are on the N. C. side, a grand place to see them is around where Tow String flows into the Oconaluftee (a couple of miles downstream from Smokemont). There's a barn across Luftee after you turn off 441, and turkeys love to roost in the area, feed around the barn, and meander around the fields on both sides of the stream. I also frequently see strutting gobblers in the big bottoms down at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center.
As for hunting, you have half a million acres of public land in the Nantahala National Forest portions of it being less than an hour's drive away. Lots of birds (and a passel of climbing!).
Jim Casada
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM

Longspur 870--I assume you realize you can't hunt in the Park, but it's a wonderful place to listen to and photograph turkeys. If you are on the N. C. side, a grand place to see them is around where Tow String flows into the Oconaluftee (a couple of miles downstream from Smokemont). There's a barn across Luftee after you turn off 441, and turkeys love to roost in the area, feed around the barn, and meander around the fields on both sides of the stream. I also frequently see strutting gobblers in the big bottoms down at the Oconaluftee Visitor Center.
As for hunting, you have half a million acres of public land in the Nantahala National Forest portions of it being less than an hour's drive away. Lots of birds (and a passel of climbing!).
Jim Casada