Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Default Dillsboro Dam (Tuckasegee River)

I was reading the WLOS News 13 website yesterday, and it sounds like the Dillsboro Dam is closer to be removed. Here is what was written:

"An eight year battle over the future of a local landmark could be over. Crews began work on the demolition of the Dillsboro Dam Monday.

Duke Energy is under federal order to oversee the demolition. Duke representatives say the dam removal will promote public recreation, enhance the environment and retain power generation.

However, for some residents, the Dillsboro Dam is much more than just a waterway. It's a piece of history."

Dillsboro Dam Demolition Posted: Monday, January 18 2010, 06:26 PM EST

Old 01-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Dillsboro Dam

Is the Dillsboro Dam the end of the DH area on the Tuck? Trying to figure out whether that will have any impact on the the trout fishery?
Thanks,
John
Old 01-25-2010, 04:27 PM

The Delayed-Harvest section of the Tuckasegee River is between the N.C. Highway 107 Bridge at Love Field and the Dillsboro Dam.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Speck Lover--The dam's removal may have a tangential impact. With its removal I expect trout from the delayed harvest section to drift downstream much more readily (the dam marked the lower end of the delayed harvest section, unless I'm mistaken). Otherwise, the main difference will be that it makes drifting without an impediment a simpler proposition, and I can see folks in the future making lengthy floats from the 107 bridge maybe all the way to Ela or even Bryson City. Too bad there's no national forest land touching the river along the way (or at least I don't think there is, though I haven't actually checked a map). This could become a great two-day float for bronzebacks and panfish during warmer months, with an overnight stop to camp somewhere along the way. It would be possible to float all the way to the headwaters of the Tuckasegee arm of Fontana, taking out at the public launch site at the end of old Hwy. 288 out of Bryson City.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

Mr. Casada,

Thanks for pointing out the possibility of a two-day float for smallmouth, a point which I had not even considered. I have only fished the Tuckasegee for smallmouth from the US19 bridge in Bryson City to Fontana, and have had decent results on that stretch of the river. Like you, I don't know of any national forest land touching the river along the way. I have a gut feeling that the river will appeal to an entirely different type of recreational crowd once the dam is removed.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:07 PM

Default Down She Comes!

Work began on removing the Dillsboro Dam on Wednesday, February 3 at 9:00 a.m. Here are a couple of videos I ran across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InWRfQudHdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVMYK...eature=related