Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 01-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Default Craney Creek Rowan Co. KY

Anyone ever fished the tailwaters of Cave Run Lake here. I kown they stock in Oct and Nov. Looking for a place to at least put a line in the water without having a drive of over two hours.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:21 AM

I used to pick up a few on dry flies right in the spill way in early summer. I've heard that the trout stay right in the concrete spillway not venturing very far down. Never fished it in the winter and haven't been there in years since grad school. I would check with Frankfort on the planting this winter as a lot of places did not get stocked , even though they were scheduled, due to releasing fish at the Wolf Creek hatchery due to warm water coming through the Cumberland dam.

Triplett Creek in Morehead is supposedly stocked at some time. I have caught and seen trout in North Fork of Triplett Creek at "Weaver's Hole" and fishing along the stream taking the first right after crossing I-64 -rt. 377 before you get to Cranston. (Its been probably 20 some years since I been there, but it's a lead you might want to follow up.

Have they planted the tailwaters at Greenbo Lake? I heard somewhere that they might have planted it.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum

Last edited by Kytroutbum; 01-22-2010 at 01:40 AM..
Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytroutbum View Post
I used to pick up a few on dry flies right in the spill way in early summer. I've heard that the trout stay right in the concrete spillway not venturing very far down. Never fished it in the winter and haven't been there in years since grad school. I would check with Frankfort on the planting this winter as a lot of places did not get stocked , even though they were scheduled, due to releasing fish at the Wolf Creek hatchery due to warm water coming through the Cumberland dam.

Triplett Creek in Morehead is supposedly stocked at some time. I have caught and seen trout in North Fork of Triplett Creek at "Weaver's Hole" and fishing along the stream taking the first right after crossing I-64 -rt. 377 before you get to Cranston. (Its been probably 20 some years since I been there, but it's a lead you might want to follow up.

Have they planted the tailwaters at Greenbo Lake? I heard somewhere that they might have planted it.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Put 15,000 Rainbow in Greenbo Lake. Just got back from greenbo, did catch three rainbow in the 12" range. I think you are correct about Craney not getting stocked, started out there this morning with no luck. I'll have to check into that Triplett Creek. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by ukfb1; 01-22-2010 at 05:45 PM..
Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM

They also stock the tailwaters of Grayson lake, which is near Greenbo. I fish this fairly often and last fall actually had some decent top water action. Big Craney creek is just past Grayson lake and I've taken some small browns out of it. But, people seine the creeks and take all the fish, so it's hit or miss.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bias5246 View Post
They also stock the tailwaters of Grayson lake, which is near Greenbo. I fish this fairly often and last fall actually had some decent top water action. Big Craney creek is just past Grayson lake and I've taken some small browns out of it. But, people seine the creeks and take all the fish, so it's hit or miss.
Thanks for the info, fishing on the flyrod is tough in this area as you know. If you are from around the Ashland KY area and want to try our limited recources let me know.