Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Well I think a gentlemen that posted earlier put it best when he said somehting like "we have hikers who get lost every year in the park, we know where they were at, we know they are lost, we know they want to be found and we still can't find them, here you have a animal that ( I love this part) that moves like the fog and only in darkness" Kinda cool I thought, as far as what you said Petecz, rest easy friend if this thing was tracking you, or any of us I doubt we would ever see it coming.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-28-2010, 05:44 PM

Carolina Boy, You aren't the only one to see a cat near the border recently.

http://www.tndeer.com/tndeertalk/ubb...=1#Post1750217
Old 01-28-2010, 07:48 PM

I really hope that I am the next person to see one. There are areas of the park that see little to no human traffic... they are there.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 PM

On one hand I think it would be neat if there were still cougars in the Park. On the other hand, I don't think so. In the late 1980's I was camping In Idaho with some friends. The guy who owned the campground, Tony, had his nephew or grandson, I can't recall which, staying with him for a while. The kid was in his early teens. His hair was cut very short and he had scars all over his head, neck, face and arms that we could see. He clearly was not in the best of health. We assumed he had been a car wreck or something of the sort, but we were too polite to inquire. Turns out he had been hiking with his family and had fallen behind. A mountain lion got him. The family heard his screams and managed to drive the cat off. He was lucky to survive. I doubt a child would have. Silvercreek
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM

I would love to see one and wouldn't be surprised if there are a few in the park.

Here is a map of some confirmed sightings across the US:

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/bigpicture.html
Old 01-29-2010, 03:47 AM

Default 4 or 5

...years ago, my wife and I were driving in the park just past Elkmont on Little River Rd. It had become dark, so our headlights were on. As we were driving a large cat suddenly appeared in front of our car. It was coming down the mountain at a slow run and was on our left. It hesitated for just a moment, but long enough that we could both see how large it was and that it had a long tail. It also snarled at us and took off to the right of our car as it continued on down the mountain.

Cougars or panthers have incredible range and with all the abundance of habitat, not to mention food, that is available in the park, it would only seem reasonable that if there isn't a good population of them, there are at least some. Here in Florida as part of the efforts to restore the panther population, a male was released several times in the Ocala Forest area. The reason he was released multiple times was due to the fact that as soon as he had been released, he would meander up to Georgia to the swamp in order to visit with a female cougar that he was evidently sweet on.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 AM

Carolina Boy, did what you saw look something like this?
http://easterncougar.org/CougarNews/...ga_cougar1.jpg

Hope I'm not violating forum etiqute by jumping in here with my first post; but I've been interested in this subject ever since my neighbor and best fishing buddy saw a panther while hunting just south of Warner Robbins Ga several years back. Most people didn't believe him (I did), until this showed up in the news this year about a hunter in west-central Georgia actually shooting one:
http://trochronicles.blogspot.com/20...in-geogia.html

I have a friend living down near Apilachicola, who has sent me news stories of two panthers being killed by cars driving throught the Apilach Nat Forest. He makes the good point that there are very few roads and little traffic through this large tract; if two had been hit by cars, how many must be out in the brush unseen?

Wayne
Old 01-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Yes sir, like I said before what I saw looked like what you see in a zoo, I drive a large SUV, and this thing leaped effortlessly from even ground level to a height such that i was looking up at its rear legs and tail, that is got to be somewhere around 7-10 feet in distance. if there can be confirmation of these cats in NW Ga, which I have read about online, and these things can have ranges of several 100 miles, well there you go. Although everybody on here, and thats like 40 posts and over a 1000 views, has been supportive and belives me which is appreciated, I think that one of the most important facts is that I had no idea that these cats were a controversy here until several days later. There is one unconnected detail of my night that I kinda forgot, within a few minutes of seeing this animal I did see a parked suv, at a pull off on the right, with a longer haired fellow standing beside the truck with a full sized shovel he actually waved at me, now the animal and all that has obviously consumed the discussion of the evening. I actually remebered this fact when I was telling the story to a woman I work with who's husband is a reptile dealer (no thanks), she said the guy was most likely digging ginsing. The only reason I bring this up is that I hope and am sure he is fine. But I can't help but thinking this dude was within a mile or 2 from this thing, it doesn't really have any bearing on the story but I figure somebody upstairs was looking out for that guy that evening. Cause boys this thing ain't no fox!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM

when I take my sons out...first I worried about hornets, then bears, now killer kitties!

Seriously though, I don't think a full grown man has much to fear, but little people...that's a different story. I'd say by tourist season the kitties are more away from folks. Unlike bears, I don't think you can give cats handouts and make 'em hang around.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:08 PM

Smile

Well if you watch the video john posted the site for where the "kitty" takes down a deer, well I am a 200 + pound guy that lives in the gym, and I really don't think any of us would stand a chance if this thing locked its jaws around your neck and just waited for the kicking to stop, not to mention the fact you would never see it coming. I don't know if they fear or shy away from humans, but I ain't gonna be the one to find out.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)