Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Hartsell View Post
Jross,
It is hard to over emphasize how important presentation and technique are. By the same token, it is very important to know what flies are hatching and just what insects the fish are keying on. The fish in the mountain streams are more opportunistic than tailwater fish and they tend to take almost any good presentation that passes by them. However, if you carry this thought into any type of fishing that you might do, get ready to have some days on the tailwaters that are humbling. This can also happen on streams like Cataloochee or the Davidson River.
Try to perfect your presentation first of all, and be very aware of the insects that you observe on the stream. It's not too hard to identify something like a Little Yellow Sally and match it with a good yellow Caddis pattern. It is a little harder to present that pattern in a light and delicate way to that nice brown that is slowly feeding back under an over hanging log that goes almost into the water. Work on both of these things but get the presentation down to an art.
Hugh

lol. drift is more important. you can (if you're lucky) see a hatch and match it, but if your drift is bad, you won't catch (m)any at all. as long as your flies aren't ridiculously out of place.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:44 PM

I have to concur with the thoughts of highstick and Mr. Hartsell. I have learned to slow down and seriously fish the pattern I have on and not want to switch after 2 casts without a rise. Fewer patterns with alot more focus and concentration will almost always garner more fish. Now if I could just fish as well as Mr. Hartsell I might worry more about my patterns