Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-09-2010, 05:09 PM

Default Your First Time Fishing in GSMNP

Since there isn't a much fishing to be had right now, it may be a good time to share some stories.

What was your first time fishing in the Smokies like? Did you go with anyone? Where did you go? What gear/flies did you try? What did you catch? etc.

I'll add mine later.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:51 PM

After many trips to the Smokies, I finally gave in to the desire to fish the rivers. About four years ago was the first time my son and I fished in the park. After stopping at LRO we went fishing in Metcalf Bottoms. I thought to myself that a couple of novices have no chance of catching any fish. My son was about ten years old at the time, and it was his first experience with a flyrod. After about a half an hour or so, my son decided to fish toward the end of the long, slow run. He laid the fly right at the overhang of the river bank and shouted "I got one!" I thought to myself, yea, right, he's just hung up. To my suprise, he brought to hand a itty bitty 'bow. It didn't matter what the size, as long as he caught one. To make the experience even better, he caught that fish in front of Mom, Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa! We have fished the Park a couple of times since then, but have been skunked on our other trips. We fished a liitle on Thuunderhead prong during extremely low water, And tried to fish this past October but the rivers were flowing a little too fast for our taste. This is what makes for great memories! I can't imagine fishing in the Park without my little buddy along by my side. I hope we have many more trips together before he is grown and gone. Sorry to ramble on so long. flyguys
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 PM

My first time fly fishing in the Smokies was my first time fly fishing. My son and I had a beginning fly fishing lesson (through LRO) with Walter Babb in late March 2007. I finally ventured out on my own in early May and went to Middle Prong just above the Tremont Institute. Caught 4 trout as I recall and all on a Parachute Adams. I think in that first year, I never ventured from that one pattern.

I can remember thinking (very loudly - you can do that, you know, change the volume of your thoughts) with that first one, "I caught a trout! I caught a trout! I caught a trout!" Been hopelessly hooked ever since.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-09-2010, 08:55 PM

Default first time fishing

My first time fishing the park and fishing with a flyrod was last fall with a local guide. I missed way more fish than I caught but as the guide kept telling me at least I was fooling the fish. The water was really flowing on that day and it was alot harder casting and trying to keep my balance than it is in my back yard. I look forward to spring and many more visits and memories to make.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:37 PM

I stopped by the shop and picked up some boots and waders with Bill's help. Bought some flies and tied on a BHPTN and went up by the bridge at Treemont (this was my very first day fly fishing). Caught a bow. Came back and told Bill how much I liked it and went back to the exact same spot the next day! I've come a long way and still have a long way to go, but at least I can catch one now when I go.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:46 AM

The first time I fished the Smokies was on my 10th wedding anniversary. The wife wanted to go to Las Vegas, I talked her into a cabin around Townsend.

She hiked up MP of LR and MP of LP with me. I was on a quest to add the state of TN to my list of states which contain (native) brookies.

Funny story though: She doesn't hike or fish, but she does smoke. When we left the trailhead on both streams, she took four cigarettes with her, and she informed me when she's done smoking - I'm done fishing!

I struck out on MP of LR, although I must have caught 50 rainbows. I started getting nervous on MP of LP, but I did manage one brookie before she ran out of smokes. I also learned that I would never make it as a tournament fisherman because I don't fish well under pressure.

This year will be our 15th anniversary, doubt I can talk her into it again, she wants to go somewhere "tropical". Maybe the Smokies will have unseasonably warm temps at the end of May.

Chris
Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM

The first time I fly fished in the Smokys I had just learned to cast in the backyard. I took several days off from work and camped at Elkmont. I fished the Little River from one end to the other without luck. In a moment of ultimate humiliation, I was wading a thin riffle when I spooked a trout that was lying in a litttle pocket of the riffle. The trout darted upstream between two rocks just as brought my foot down between those same rocks. I stepped on the trout. Imagine stepping on more trout than you caught on a fly rod. I finally caught a little trout that was rising under some bushes not far from where I stepped on the trout. He took a black ant. He was the only trout I caught the entire trip. Humbly yours, Silvercreek
Old 01-10-2010, 11:54 AM

Silver,

Yeah, I've done the same thing; wading right down the middle of the river and spooking all the trout. I rarely get in these days.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:01 PM

The first time I fished in the Park was about ten years ago. I had never fished for trout before. I talked a buddy who had done trout fishing before into going with me. We made a flying trip out of it. Drove four hours spent the night fished until dark and went home.
We stopped by Litte River Outfitters [ they were in the old store] and bought flys. we went to Metcalf Bottems to fish. I didn't know about slick mountauin rocks at that time.
I had brought my lug sole duck hunting waders. I caught my first trout that day. One rainbow and a small brown. I also dunked myself three times in those lug sole waders. I also learned that 5mil neoprene wader legs float and it is very hard to get your feet back on the river bottom. It is a little disconcerting for your head to be be higher than your feet in this type situation.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:13 PM

First the earth cooled, and then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil, then I started fishing the smokies