Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Boy View Post
Nope not a tiger trout, they are apparently trying to get the Cherokee Nation to donate an extra 2 miles or so and then the state of NC to donate an extra 2 miles as well, I am not sure how the govt side of this proposal works.
Carolina Boy--Who is "they"? I'm confused when you mention the state of N. C. donating an extra two miles to what I'm assuming is the Oconaluftee trophy water. The state doesn't have two miles. Except for a very short stretch immediately above and below the dam at Ela on lower Luftee, it is all on the reservation or in the Park. The reservation boundary at Birdtown is just above the point where the little lake backs up to its headwaters, and it is no more than a few hundred yards below the dam until Luftee enters the Tuckaseigee. In other words, I'm confused and hope maybe you can straighten me out.
I've talked to Robert Blankenship about this trophy water a number of times and he does indeed hope for an expansion. However, I think it is more likely to be upstream than down, and either way there are several miles of water which are on the reservation. The final decision would presumably be up to the tribal council.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-06-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Been trying to get to Cherokee since last week!!

Hey guys, me and my nephew have been trying to get over to Cherokee since last week and are planing to make the trip this week (we live in townsend). Didn't go becasue of 441 and I'm sure they will close it down on us if we get over there before we leave. Wondering if anyone has gone into Cherokee in the past week or so via the interstate then through maggie valley, just wondering how that road is as im not sure what the elevation is. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:01 PM

MikeRob--If you are talking about I-40, it is closed and has been for many weeks. I'm not sure of the current situation but I think it will be well into March, at best, before it opens. Your only real alternative from the Tennessee side is I-81 North out of Knoxville to I-26, then into Asheville to connect with I-40, then I-40 West to Hwy. 74 towards Waynesville and Bryson City. There's a Cherokee exit six or eight miles before you get to Bryson City.
You could go down through Maryville and come back northeastwards on the road through Deals Gap ("Dragon's Tail") but I wouldn't recommend it. Hwy. 441 has been off and on for some time, as is typical in winter. In other words, it's about as close to a real-life case of "you can't get there from here" as you are likely to encounter.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Man! Those are DANDY trout! I don't even know where that water IS and I'm getting in my car!

Pat