Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 02-05-2010, 12:14 PM

Default hip waders for GSMNP

Hey, I'm looking at a pair of hip waders ("Frogg Toggs - Rana") for backpacking use in the smokies. I'd like a lighter and less bulky pair for backpacking, and am thinking hip waders might be a good match. Does anyone use hip waders, and can anyone give a review of those (the Rana ones). They're pretty cheap, which might be a negative.

Also some lightweight wading boots/shoes suggestions would be nice.

Thanks!

--Matt
Old 02-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Hip Waders

I'm glad someone else is trying to find hip waders! I have repeatedly asked
about Red Ball waders, but cannot get any response. Summer is brutal in the "heavy"
hippers. Some of us are too wimpy to wet wade, so I hope someone has some info
on lightweight sock-foot hippers. Thanks in advance!
Gary
Old 02-05-2010, 12:29 PM

Google those "Frogg Toggs Rana" waders. The price is certainly right but I have no idea if they're any good.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 PM

Mundele,

I have had a pair of Dan Bailey Breathable Hipper Stockingfoots for about 5 years that I primarily use for backpacking, and have never had a problem with them. However, they are quite a bit more pricey than Frogg Toggs Rana, around $100.00 retail. As far as a wading boot that I take backpacking goes, I've been using Chota's Abrams Creek. I don't have any experience with the Frogg Toggs Rana or Red Ball's. You might check with the good folks at Little River Outfitters to see if they have anything available. If not, they can probably point you in the right direction.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 PM

Do "hippers" work ok in small streams or do you find yourself getting in too deep? I didn't see any hip waders in LRO's online catalog...
Old 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM

From what I gather from the experts, if you have to wade, you should probably just go on to the next spot where you can get your line in from the bank. But, that may be wrong. I've only been fishing the park off and on for a couple of years or so...well, at least with a fly rod.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Do "hippers" work ok in small streams or do you find yourself getting in too deep?
They work ok for me, I just have to hunt places in the stream that I won't get in too deep, and sometimes I get fooled. I actually prefer wet wading, but my old joints don't seem to care for the cold mountain streams anymore. You might try shooting Little River Outfitters an email or give them a call regarding hip waders, I'll bet they have a supplier somewhere who offers them even though they might not have them listed in their catalog.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Waist-high waders are another option. Hip waders always seemed to be just high enough to get me good and wet Waist highs are cooler and lighter than chest high waders and provide a little more flexibility when wading than hippers.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:07 PM

Default waders

I like the waist high waders for cool weather/small stream fishing,I all ways seem to get in trouble with hippers. Hodgeman lakestream is about the lightest boot I have found. About 2lb8oz. I put an extra pair of insoles in mine, gives them a more snug fit.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:44 PM

I like breathable hip boots. Mine are Orvis bootfoots. You can get to your pants pockets, they are cooler than chest waders, and you can get in them quicker than all the hassle of chestwaders. You do have to pay attention to water depth as you do not want to get knocked down in deep fast wader and have them fill up on you. That's real trouble. The only real disadvantage I have found is needing to cross stream and not being able to find a safe spot. Sure you do limit the water you can cover, but regardless of what you wear there will be spots you cannot reach. My second pick are the waist high waders. I bet LRO can get the Orvis hippers for you. Regards, Silvercreek