Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-06-2010, 12:16 AM

Default Watts Bar Lake

Hey guys,

I have family that has a place on Watts Bar Lake. Needless to say, even living in Ohio, I spent some time down there last summer. I fished the lake A LOT and I never really figured out a pattern for this lake... Other than throw a small bream bug near some brush and you will most likely get a small 'gill. I never really connected with the bass in the lake, although each morning I would walk down to the dock I would see shad being busted, but I couldn't get a daggum' bite even with my best shad pattern. Any ideas from anyone on how I could find some fish? I know with a lake that big there's got to be SOME fish in it. Hahah. I would also mention that their place is near (in?) spring city and we could see the nuclear plant from their porch (ok, just the smoke stacks, but that counts... right?) Thanks for any help.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:35 AM

I usually fish watts bar a couple of days each summer. July mostly. I have had my best luck on a 4-5 " grey/white Clouser with heavy dumbell eyes fished on a 12-15 ft long leader around islands that has deeper water nearby. I cast to the bank and let it fall down the contour. I like to be there before the sun comes up and the bass will be bustin the shad on top as well. The clouser will work on that as well if you immediately cast across the break and let it fall and giving it a twitch. If you have two rods rigged, a crease popper cast into the break is effective also. You may see some stripers busting shad out on the main channel early also. I fish from a canoe, so its hard to run and gun after them! Once the sun gets high and bright the bass go deep for the day. I turn to fishing shady areas for the bream. I generally fish a 7 or 8wt. and 1-2 x tippet for the bass and a little glass 3wt for the bream. I had a very large bass on last summer at daybreak that I got all the way to the canoe before it sounded and ended up breaking off. It had my 8wt doubled. I saw it jump once and estimated it at 5-6 pounds.
If you can be there during the willow fly hatch, forget about the bass and fish for the carp.

Dave Carson fishes it a lot and could give you more info. Waterwolf could probably add plenty of useful intel also.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Thanks for the reply Troutman

I spent my longest time there in July and had heard about the willow flys but never saw them, although I figured it wold bring up the big bream rather than the carp. Although those carp aren't shy, my Uncle caught two in one evening both about 20lbs. and hit a streamer stripped really aggressively. Have you found the big rocks to be good producers? I figured the fish would hang around them like the great lakes bass... guess not... ha!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up

Great topic guys! Hope you dont mind if i use some of that info troutman. I fish Tims Ford Lake usualy early July, and have had some of the same problems myself with the bass, i was and will keep using my 8wt for the 5pounders when they show up. Thanks again!

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 02-06-2010, 11:09 PM

Don't forget you can use a full sinking line also to get lightly weighted flies down. I think the most important thing is to use larger flies. Big predators like a big meal. Doesn't Lefty say "Give em the groceries!"
Old 02-10-2010, 02:51 PM

I've had some luck on Tellico Lake bass with flies tied with chartreuse chenille bodies and elk hair wings and peacock herl tails. I tie them on aberdeen hooks to make them longer. My son laughed at it until I caught a fish.
The rocks are good during cooler weather. The sun heats the rocks which then heats the water and the fish come in.