Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Default My First Trout (Speck) w/Pics & Story

Here is a picture of my first trout I caught last summer 8-1-09. This was my very first trip. I detailed the story in my intro in the new members forum here http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=13385

I caught her just above this beautiful waterfall.

Anyone else want to share the story of their first trout experience?

Birdman
Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 AM

Nice brookie. My first brookie was approximately half that size. I was fishing a #16 para-adams. The little guy hit so violently that I reacted with a bass set on my 2 wgt rod and launched him over my head and into the brush. I rushed to put him back into the water and was so surprised by the whole event, I forgot to take a picture. My sons laughed for the rest of the trip about dad and the flying brookie!
Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM

This summer will mark the 50th anniversary of my first trout in the Park...I was 13...it was a 7" rainbow caught on a Ginger Quill dry fly in Porter's Creek in the side channel just below the parking area at the gate...I was on a picnic with my grandparents and cousin....as my grandfather and cousin were rigging up their flyrods I could not understand why I couldn't go with them...ended up with the quill tied to a spinning outfit...couldn't understand why I wasns't able to cast as far as my cousin but managed to flick that fly into a small plunge pool, saw a splash and pulled out the only fish that was big enough to keep that was caught that day....50 years later I still fish that same side channel every chance I get and more times than not I will pull a distant relative of that first trout out of one of the little plunge pools...somewhere I still have a black and white photo of me standing in the middle of Porter's Creek with that little bow at the end of my rod...
Old 02-12-2010, 01:51 PM

Great stories!