Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Default Getting ready, Not long

Me and my group have been preparing for some early spring fishing trips for 2010 and the rest of the fishing season.

Thought I would share some personal progress and new toys to try out this year.

I have now been on the tread mill for a month and can give my Aunt her walking cane back from a long winters rest.

Decided on a new camping Hennessy Hammock instead of a new tent. Cant wait to give it a try this year.

Also going to try out a new Xmas present Titanium cook cup and William Joseph fly fishing Day pack.

New toys and destinations for 2010, cannt wait.

Anyone else getting it together.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:51 PM

I am ready too Mac. I got a new REI Flash 65 pack this year that is a heck of a lot lighter than my old Gregory. Will be trying it out a week from Friday on the LR trail . I also built a lightweight rod tube out of one of those flourescent light bulb protectors you can get at Lowes. I am so happy with it pretty sturdy and weighs nothing! Can't wait to try it out attached to my pack. Man I can't wait to see GREEN again in the mountains geez...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Me too! Hey be careful with that Hennessy Hammock. You'll freeze your rear end off if you're not careful.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Nothing quite as adventuresome here...will be up there the end of March and wife has said no camping unless it is in a cabin...beggars cannot be picky...just got several dozen new flies and since I have made a resolution to try and fish more nymphs this year most of these are wet flies...also have a new jacket and an Orvis chest pack for the longer walkins...let us know how all the new "stuff" works out...
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Mac, you are gonna dig that hammock! Mundele is right about freezing your buns off in the hammock if you aren't prepared. I've been a raving fan of Hennessey hammocks for years, and I can offer lots of advice from personal experience. For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably in my hammock on many a cold night, one of which was nearly in the single digits.

I scored a new fishing shirt the other day. Ice Breakers merino wool, camo pattern. Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:39 PM

Default Hennessy Hammock

Quote:
Hey be careful with that Hennessy Hammock. You'll freeze your rear end off if you're not careful.
I can attest to that. I bought two Hennessy Hammock's last winter, one for my daughter and one for myself. Last July we went on an overnight backpacking trip on the AT, setting up camp just outside the Grayson Highlands State Park boundary in Virginia. The temperature dropped down to 40 degrees with a light wind the night we camped, and although we were both sleeping in Mountain Hardwear 20 degree synthetic sleeping bags, we were both miserable all night from the cold air passing below our hammock's. We had to get up and set by the fire to get warm. They are an extremely comfortable sleeping system, but like all gear, they have their limitations. I understand that Hennessy makes some type of reflector that aids in keeping the hammock warmer, although I don't know anything about them.

Mac, I'm in no way throwing off on your Hennessy Hammock. I just don't want to see you get in a jam if the temperature drops on you while out in the backcountry. To me, there is nothing more miserable in the backcountry than trying to sleep while being cold. On second thought, being cold and wet ranks pretty high on the list.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably in my hammock on many a cold night, one of which was nearly in the single digits.

Carlito,

What is the secret to staying warm in the hammock?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
For what it's worth, I've slept comfortably in my hammock on many a cold night, one of which was nearly in the single digits.
I can verify this...I was there.
Goshen Prong trip mid-Jan.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I can verify this...I was there.
Goshen Prong trip mid-Jan.
Grannyknot,

I'm not doubting it, I'm just interested in learning what I was doing wrong.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
I scored a new fishing shirt the other day. Ice Breakers merino wool, camo pattern. Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!
Carlito, where did you score that shirt? I looked at their website but didn't see it. If you tell me, and if I get one, I promise not to wear it when we fish together. I have been buying the green Smartwool for a few years and have been thinking about camoing it up myself.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com