Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Default Warmwater flies.

I am planning on either ordering or heading up to LRO for some warmwater flies in the next week or so. Wanted to get everyones opinions on what I should consider. I haven't really used my fly rod outside of trout so I am wanting a general collection.

Would also like some flies that work well in the colder temps and for the summer.

Thanks for the advice.

Ben
Old 02-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Going by what I remember LRO stocking for warm water fishing, I would get some Walt's poppers and Sneaky Petes for top water and for subsurface, some smaller Clousers (think baitfish) and some heavy leadeye buggers. The superbugger is good in tan and black. If they stock Kent's Stealth Bombers, get a few of them also. The covert mission is a knockoff but not as good. IMO.

For nymphs, soft hackles, prince, hares ears and pheasant tails work fine.

That should get you started
Old 02-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Thanks Troutman. Good news is I have a lot of those such as all manner of wooly buggers and all the nymphs.

Right now would you throw more of the nymphs or bait fish immitations.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcunnin1 View Post

Right now would you throw more of the nymphs or bait fish immitations.
Unless your fishing below a warm discharge plant, the water temps are really too low right now to effectively fish for warm water species with a fly rod. The fish are deep and lethargic. Now if your fishing in lakes, you could try the FNF (float and fly) technique by fishing with a jig fly under a strike indicator. This requires you to fish the fly very slowly about 10-12 ft deep. Lots of smallies are caught this time of year on Norris, South Holston, Cumberland, and Dale Hollow Lakes using FNF. If you can find a river with water temps in the high 40s to 50s , then you may find some feeding gills, but most will be in deep water and want a slow presentation in their face.
I follow several warm water fishing forums and about the only area right now that is seeing much action is south texas and those guys were fishing ponds.
Things will pick up in mid to late March
Old 02-18-2010, 04:28 PM

I tie most of my own warm water flies so I'm not sure what all LRO has for the warmies.

A lot of the answer to your question depend on what you'll be trying to catch and where you'll e fishing.

Woolie buggers - black, olive, brown, orange (crayfish) have always produced

poppers of all sizes and shapes and colors.

San Juan Worms

Anything looking like a baitfish with silver or flash in it.

nymphs always seem to work well for bluegill

I've caught bluegill on elk hair caddis flies.

I even caught a 3lb largemouth bass on a #12 Adams a couple years back. Don't ask how I landed it. The barbless hook held and fortunately, the bass didn't just inhale it into his gut. It was stuck neatly in his upper lip. Go figure.

Deer Hair bugs are also effective in warm water.

If you're into tying your own, I have some warm water patterns I have used to great effect on my blog. all of the materials can be bought at LRO (and most of the ones I tie do contain materials bought at LRO).

Jeff
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. I got some ideas of things to look for now at LRO. I realize its a little cold right now but I am gonna throw some of these things out at a steam plant where the water temps are a little warmer and then use the rest of them this spring. When I said "right now" it was more of a reference to spring not the present. I should have been more clear.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 AM

I mess around for bass on a flyrod a little. I'd give another vote for the Stealth Bomber. An issue of the LRO Journal gives tying directions. I also like the diver type of deer hair bugs. Love to see a bass bust a surface fly. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 02-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Try hopper imitations. My favorite is the Letort Hopper but, Dave's are also good.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 AM

Here is the simplest answer I can give you, and this is all you will EVER need to catch river smallmouth.

Yellow poppers, small not monsters, but also not teeny bluegill sized. Walts are a good bet.

White streamers of some kind in a size 6 tied with rabbit fur, only. Don't waste money on clouser stuff, IMO they work, but not nearly as well as a rabbit strip fly.

And that is it, you can literally carry 2 patterns and catch smallmouth all summer, on every river, without having to deviate.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
Here is the simplest answer I can give you, and this is all you will EVER need to catch river smallmouth.

Yellow poppers, small not monsters, but also not teeny bluegill sized. Walts are a good bet.

White streamers of some kind in a size 6 tied with rabbit fur, only. Don't waste money on clouser stuff, IMO they work, but not nearly as well as a rabbit strip fly.

And that is it, you can literally carry 2 patterns and catch smallmouth all summer, on every river, without having to deviate.
something like this? woolhead rabbit strip flies are a standard in my flybox.
the white and black woolheads are pretty simple to tie.

I also like yellow, and chartruese green poppers. This is one of my smallie sized #4 Firetiger "TM Fatheads".