Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-24-2010, 11:41 AM

All very valid points. The more I consider it, the more that I feel like I can support the new legislation.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:38 PM

I'm all for it, hope I never have to put it to use, but i would reather know i have it if i did need it.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:46 PM

I too believe in the right to bear arms, and support this decision.

My thoughts now turn to what will the NPS have to do to inform/educate people who are not familiar with the outdoors and animal behavior that just seeing one doesn't give them the right to shoot it. They need to be actually threatened not just hyped up on adrenaline from the encounter. Secondly, we are already short on park rangers, I think the NPS will need to bring in additional rangers just to keep the yahoos under control and help deter these instances from happening.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-24-2010, 02:09 PM

IMO, most will use good judgement, many bears that are seen will be too far away and or run like they usually do, and I would guess that 99% of the time, when a person actually does take a shot, they'll miss due to distance, fear or whatever. I think a simple sign posted at each trail head that details the legal ramifications of shooting a bear without good cause will be enough to scare most into not drawing down. JMO.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:15 PM

Yeah we tend to overthink or guess that bad things will happen thats human nature . My guess is this will prove to be a non-event as it was last year. In case you forgot it was legal to carry in the park between January 9th and April 20th last year before the courts suspended the law and of course nothing happened. No animals needlessly shot or people shooting each other. Here is the thread from last year with much of the same:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=11752
Old 02-24-2010, 02:17 PM

Lots of studies have shown that when it is legal to carry, violent crime actually drops. I doubt anyone will even notice the difference.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM

I strongly agree with JohnH0802. John, my sentiments exactly. I have had a carry
permit for a couple years now and have never felt a need to carry while fishing, yet.
But I sure don't want someone else to tell me whether or not I can carry to protect
myself, my family, or my fellow man. The 2nd amendment guarantees us that right.
And if I'm not mistaken, my Bible gives me the right as well.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:13 PM

I have read several comments about people hoping that the "yahoos" and "red neck a-holes" don't abuse the law and I have just a couple of comments on this.

These are the arguments that the gun-control crowd and mainstream media always bring up to try and curtail the 2nd Amendment rights of the law abiding. However when you shine the light of truth on the facts, this is far from the truth.

I still remember all of the public outcry when Florida first passed its right-to-carry law and all of the media and gun control folks were talking about how it was going to be the wild west, with shoot outs in bars and such. This did not happen, and as I stated earlier it was actually just the opposite. When Florida started seeing increased violent crime targetting visitors and tourists, they interviewed some gang members and asked them why they were targetting the vistors and tourists, and found out that they were targetting them because they knew that they would not be armed. Florida did the smart thing and issued permits to out of state people.

I will agree that it doesn't take but one poor example to reflect badly on all of us (I have personnaly seen the consequences of poor sportsman hurting fishing or hunting access). Just realize that the number of people that abuse/misuse a carry permit are statistically irrelivant. I think what gives it legs is that it is all we hear in the media, until the next thing you know we are repeating the same things. This is just a bad stereotype, and not true or supported by the facts.

What I worry about are the criminals, as we have seen recently what they are capable of (i.e. the shooting of the elk in the park). This bothers me not just because of what they did, but because people automatically lump that person in with the law abiding sportsman and hunters, when the truth is that law abiding sportsman and hunters are the most outspoken against such actions.

John
Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 PM

Default Guns in the park

I recall last year when it was legal to carry in the park, a local tv newscast lead into the story by saying, "You'll soon be hearing the sound of gunfire in the Smokies ..." Today in the Knoxville News Sentinel editorial page, the cartoon showed a thug holding up a bank with a pistol and the caption read, "The last person in Tennessee without a carry permit." From most sources I read, it is generally stated that the sport of hunting and fishing is on the decline in America. When I was a boy my buddies and I lived in the woods in autumn. Spring and summer found us on the lakes in east TN as much as school and parents would let us. Look around you now. How many kids are doing that? Mention shooting back in the 60's and the first thing that popped into our mind was squirrel, rabbit, quail or dove? Mention shooting today and kids wonder which school? Folks, we live in a world far different from that which we grew up in.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 AM

Default Yet another thought to consider...

I have made a practice of carrying a gun for self defense almost for as long as i have been driving, especially when traveling overnight or out of state. Even some of the nicer hotels I've stayed at have at times had warnings about high crime rates and not opening the door to just anyone who knocks.

This presents a problem to me in that I refuse to leave a weapon, loaded or otherwise in a hotel room and yet I also refuse to leave one in a car while onstream per chance some thug happens to decide my car looks ripe for the picking. It would be bad enough to return to my car and discover I had been robbed, and even worse if I returned to find them still there and armed with my weapon for use against myself or anyone with me.

The ability to carry legally in the parks will allow me to remain in possesion of my own weapon and able if needed to protect myself and those along with me.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton