Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Once upon a time when the budget coffers were flush the Park rangers would actively enforce fishing regulations in the Park....one infamous ranger named Cantrell would actively stalk suspected offenders....once caught a couple of locals coming out of upper end of Elkmont with over 100 trout...only 10 were of legal size....I can remember my cousin warning me when I started fishing up there that violators were fined, tackle confiscated and they were also barred from fishing in the Park...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM

Thumbs up Amen

We should all do as ChemEAngler does and keep the TWRA Poacher Hotline
on our phones,and USE it whenever necessary. Guys they are stealing from you and me. We wouldn't allow them to do that at our homes, would we ?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnh2owader View Post
We should all do as ChemEAngler does and keep the TWRA Poacher Hotline
on our phones,and USE it whenever necessary. Guys they are stealing from you and me. We wouldn't allow them to do that at our homes, would we ?
It wasn't in Tennessee, but the last time I called the DFW hotline to reoport poaching, I fished the area for another 3 hours, the poachers were long gone and no officer showed up in the time I was there.

The guys are under staffed, under funded, and over worked. Unfortunately, they can't catch everybody and even more unfortunately, the poachers know that.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:38 PM

Glad too see my license fees and taxes at work! Can't believe how some people ignore the regulations and think it's O.K. . I need to put that TWRA hotline in my phone as well.

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 06-07-2010, 07:49 AM

Rog 1--Would that have been Bud Cantrell? He is a retired Park ranger but I thought he did all his work on the N. C. side of the Park. I know him fairly well and he actually helped me a bit with my book by providing an old sketch map of Chambers Creek which a former resident there had drawn.
Oddly enough, the map was mentioned when my brother and I ran into Bud, one of his sons, and some grandchildren when both groups were plundering around in the woods on Noland off trail. You just don't expect to run into others in such situations. Incidentally, two of Bud Cantrell's boys have made literary contributions to the lore of the world of the Smokies. One is the author of The Fishes of Cherokee Country while a second, Geoff, has written a bunch of articles on the Smokies for magazines such as Smoky Mountain Living.
Bud goes far enough back to have known Bill Rolen, the father of my boyhood fishing buddy and a legendary ranger who probably knew the N. C. side of the Park, especially the back country, as well as anyone since the creation of the Park.
If nothing else mention of the name Cantrell stirred some nice memories, even though the subject is a vexing one. A pox on poachers.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-07-2010, 09:21 AM

Jim...I never met Mr. Cantrell...all I can remember are the stories that my grandfather and uncle used to tell about the man...they said he carried a pair of large binoculars and would stalk fishermen if he thought they were violating the rules...my uncle told of one occasion where Mr. Cantrell walked out of a rhodo thicket and upon seeing my relatives remarked that if he had known it was them he wouldn't have wasted his time...I do remember my uncle saying that he was later transferred to the NC side of the Park so this may have been the same ranger you are familiar with...last ranger I saw in the back country that checked my license and creel was where the Cucumber Gap trail meets up with the LR trail...he had been up all night hunting boars but took the time to check us out...I can remember only one time I had a ranger actually measure any of my fish...that was back when the Park had changed the regs to a 9" minimum and a total of four fish...I had gotten my limit with my grandfather on Fish Camp Prong and the ranger thought my fish were a little small...after measuring them he apologized saying he didn't see many flatlanders catching those numbers of fish.