Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM

Default Temporary Closures Due to Repaving in 2010

It appears that there is going to be quite a bit of repaving going on in the GSMNP when the weather breaks, according to the NPS:

• Cades Cove Loop Road is closed to all public use through May 21 for repaving.
  • Clingmans Dome Road is closed to all public use through May 28 for repaving.
  • Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is closed to all public use through May 28 for repaving.
  • The Sinks parking area on Little River Road closed through May 25 for repaving.
  • US-441 (Newfound Gap Road) repaving between Collins Creek Picnic Area south to the boundary with Cherokee, NC is scheduled for March 2009 through September 2010.

For a more detailed version, check out:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...mprovments.htm

Last edited by Speck Lover; 03-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 03-05-2010, 12:24 PM

When I read your post last night I was very disappointed to see Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is going to be closed in May.

I fished that stream last year and that was very high on this years streams to visit.

Does anyone know if you are able to park in Gatlinburg and walk in? Or is the NPS closing everything down?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:31 PM

From what I have read, the NPS states that the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail will be closed to all public use, including hiking, until May 28. The trailheads along the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail will also be closed until May 28, and this includes the Baskins Creek Trail, Grapeyard Ridge Trail, and the Trillium Gap Trail at the Grotto Falls entrance.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks for the response.

That was not what I wanted to hear.

I saw the mill in there and thought it was something.

This year I will head on over to Mingus Creek area and check out that mill.

Course I will have to do a wee-bit of fishing while there.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:10 PM

I don't see anything that would stop you from entering the creek outside the Park and fishing up the creek...would probably mean you would have to walk back out down the creek bed...I do know that there are several places up the lower gorge that require some bushwacking to get around two plunge pools that can be difficult...the only other thing would be that outside the Park you would also need a trout stamp
Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM

AKSkim--I think you would be perfectly legal as long as you weren't hiking trails--just fishing. You could drive up to the Park line (road is two-way outside the Park) or near it, find a place to park (if memory serves there are some) and let the stream be your trail from there.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM

There is a mill/store right where the one lane road exits the motor trail....the actual park boundary is a couple hundred yards up the road from this store....to get to the river from the park boundary is a steep haul....lost a net going down there a year or so ago...if you find it please let me know....it would be easier entering the stream behind the mill and fish/walk up to the park boundary if you don't have a trout stamp....also depending on the time of year...watch out for the stinging nettles...this area is lousy with them....but, if they are closing this area down a little effort should pay off with some good fishing.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:26 AM

Default one last Loop Road closure photo

Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 AM

Considering the 50" of snow on top of LeConte, it's going to be a while before Roaring Fork warms up this Spring.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM

Don't be too pessimistic...saw this morning where LeConte only has 46" of snow....