Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Default Backcountry Ideas

A buddy and I are planning to go hiking/camping/fishing Tuesday through Friday (not sure if we're gonna stay 2 or 3 nights) of next week. We spent 3 nights last fall on Hazel and in Bone Valley and had a blast. Would like to go somewhere different this time but have a similar sort of trip... (good hike in, a little off the beaten path, good fishing, cool sights and views). I was just wondering if you guys had any favorite trails/sites. Would love to hear any suggestions for anywhere in the park. Thanks so much!

Nick
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Cades Cove campground taking Anothony Creek trail up to Spence Field. You can fish, stop at 9 and go to Spence Field the next day or stop at 10 and go to Russell Field.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:06 PM

I think Deep Creek would be a smiliar type trip lots of backcountry campsites and miles of good water similar to Hazel. Also there are tons of nice hiking loops in the area up around martins gap, thomas ridge and places, and other fishing opportunities such as Indian Creek which is a nice stream. I have stayed at burnt spruce cs 56 and it was nice and 55 (pole road?) looked very nice too.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:31 PM

My favorite backcountry trip is up the LR trail above Elkmont....CS24 at Rough Creek and CS23 at the fork of Goshen Prong on Fish Camp....Fish Camp Prong offers some great water and varying scenery....this is an old lumber rail trail with a lot of local history as well as some fine fishing opportunities.....at 24 you always have a chance of scoring a slam when fishing above the campground on a single stream.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:56 PM

bumhopingfortrout4--Crockett's idea is a good one, and there are a bunch of campsites on Deep Creek besides the two he mentions. Another possibility would be Forney Creek, another Eagle Creek, and yet another Noland Creek. In truth, if you are willing to do a bit of hiking there are many streams on both the N. C. and Tenn. sides of the Park where you can have the kind of experience you describe. Indeed, although I camped at Bone Valley last year, Hazel Creek would be several notches down my list for one reason. It's a victim of its own popularity--too many people.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com