Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM

The simple fact that most guys can't pass up all that good looking water is what makes the fishing better farther on up
Old 03-18-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubefisher View Post
Interesting, Plateau, that's what I'm afraid of. I have trouble walking past just about anything that looks fishy. Knowing that a portion of one of my very limited fishing time will be spent walking past good looking water is hard for me. Knowing that I'm not likely to have to share the water with anyone other than the guys I go with sounds pretty good, though.
LRO needs to start selling blinders for the back packing anglers.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 PM

As with most water in the Park the number of anglers you bump into is directly proportional to the amount of walking you do before you start fishing....that ratio has the sound of a good science/math project for someone....would be glad to help on that one.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Paraphrasing a bit:

It goes to show
the park is full of fisherman...

the number increasing rapidly the
further one gets from the backcounty!
Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM

I am taking the family on a back country backpacking/fishing trip at the end of the month. I have not worn a pack since the Army (25 years ago). I have purchased all of the equipment (Not the good expensive stuff) and I put on my 50+ pound pack last night for a five night camp. We are headed up Little River.

I imagine I will drop dead about 3 miles in, but at least I will be looking at my favorite stream/area.

I could have cut down, but I figure a little pain, for a lot of comfort is worth it. I cant wait to spend 8+ hours a day in the stream. My soul needs the mountains.

Get your arse up there, you cant be sorry, at least when you get there, while your hiking you will be like me, and be really sorry.

(how much do those extra BH Nymph's really weigh??)
Old 03-19-2010, 03:20 PM

Your hike is not really that hard and looking at all the water will take your mind off the task at hand....and the mind will soon block out all the pain.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 PM

True. That hike up to 24 is about as flat as the get in the Park. Make sure you have some good insoles in your boots! That trail is packed hard as a rock and can be rough on the joints.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Default Back country

Trick is picking a campsite that allows you to stay in place for a few days and still walk to different places to fish. Bone Valley, #83, fits the bill exactly. Start on Hazel Creek and fish up; up Bone Valley; down to Sugar Fork and up thru the Gorge to #83; up to Cold Spring. That's four days fishing a different stretch of stream without moving your campsite. Only last two require hiking and then donning waders; First two allow fishing upstream from the campsite. Watson
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Just take it slow and be sure to carry a pack that carries well, be careful of the weight you carry try to get under 40lbs and wear comfortable shoes/boots I carry 32lbs with food for 2 days and all of my fly fishing gear including waders,vest and wading boots.

It is really nice to be the only one on the stream can be a bit scary too being in the middle of what seems like no where be sure to tell someone when you are expected back and where you are planning on being.

I am hitting Bryson Place on Deep Creek this weekend I'll let you know how many fisherman I see up there. I go for 2 days that way one can be spent hiking and setting up camp and the next one fishing all day then hike out the next. campsite #24 can be hiked and fished all in the same day very easy hike but also a popular area for that reason.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:00 PM

Spotlight, how long does it normally take you to hike the 6+ miles with a pack up to CS57? I'm interested in trying it sometime this year, when the weather is warmer and the water is lower...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."