Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
Gulp! just when I get pleased with myself at just being able to tie a fly, I find out it ain't as easy as I'd hoped....
The guys above really know what they are talking about. But....remeber the KISS principle when fishing the mountains. When dark bugs are hatching, fish dark, buggy looking flies, when yellow sallies are hatching, fish yellow buggy looking flies, etc. To me, nothing looks more buggy than a caddis fly. I fish a size 16 caddis fly 90% of the time in the park, and I seem to do alright at catching fish. I don't try to exactly match the color, but I do want it close to the same general shade. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with this. My main concern when tying flies is to keep it as cheap as possible.

Tailwaters are another matter.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 PM

jross, don't get overwhelmed by it all. Like Buzz says, keep it simple at first. If you see flys on the water or on the air, try to catch one or get a good look at it, particularly the underside of the fly. Then root around in you box for something that matches the size and color for dry flies. For nymphs, the fly is going to be slightly larger than the dry. You'll eventually learn your bugs. At first, I suggest you learn the difference between caddis, stoneflies and mayflies. If nothing is on the water, then prospect with some type of attractor. Fishing a matching fly becomes more critical when the trout are actively feeding. Then your success goes up when you can match the hatch. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 03-17-2010, 01:31 PM

Keeping in line w/ the whole K.I.S.S. philosophy, if the trout in the Park are rising for a hatch, I promise you'll catch plenty of fish if you can get a good drift on something approximately the same size, regardless of color or pattern. You would probably catch more if you have a perfect match to what is hatching, but don't get too bogged down in the details. All this stuff just starts coming naturally to you the more time you spend on the water. However, I am in no way discouraging you from your efforts to learn these important nuances of the sport! Party on.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
...remeber the KISS principle when fishing the mountains. When dark bugs are hatching, fish dark, buggy looking flies, when yellow sallies are hatching, fish yellow buggy looking flies, etc. To me, nothing looks more buggy than a caddis fly. I fish a size 16 caddis fly 90% of the time in the park, and I seem to do alright at catching fish. I don't try to exactly match the color, but I do want it close to the same general shade. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with this.
Jross,
Don't get frustrated with the endless information; I personally go a little too far at times in my fly fishing. It hurts my productivity at times; but, that is what I enjoy about it. It is an art, science, passion, etc.....

You should follow Buzz's KISS philosophy and focus on having fun. The rest will come with time with curiosity and experience.

Keep in mind; fishing freestone streams and tailwaters are very different in many ways. With that thought; learn to understand why and adapt.

SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Just finished Jim Gasque's '48 book "Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smokies" which had a chapter on Mark Cathy. Mark almost always used the same pattern when fishing in the Smokies and purportedly would always catch more fish than any other 3 fisherman on the same water on the same day. Why? 1) He knew exactly where the fish were and 2) His presentation was incredibly natural. Color didn't matter much to old Mark as long as it was a yellow body with gray hackle.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:13 PM

Probably true on his home waters. Doubt it would work on a stream like Silvercreek in Idaho. Apparently he did care about color as it had to be yellow and grey. Most folks end up learning something about bugs if for no other reason than it is easier to blame the fly than the fisherman, or they are looking for an edge to catch a few more trout. Some folks enjoy the bug knowledge as a compliment to their fishing and fly tying. Some could not care less. Go with whatever gives you the most pleasure. Regardless you are going to have to learn to make that cast. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM

as always good stuff to learn from the replies....I wish I had some way to show my flies to someone who knows more than me.... Well, maybe next week I'll see one or two of ya'll either in LRO or on the water and get a lesson on fly tying!
Old 03-17-2010, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
Well, maybe next week I'll see one or two of ya'll either in LRO or on the water and get a lesson on fly tying!
No lesson about fly tying from me. If you saw my flies, you'd know why. But I may be able to slip out from work early one afternoon if you want someone to fish with. Shoot me an email if you do. ramappraisals@yahoo.com
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 AM

thanks buzz, I sent you an email.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM

I like bright colors, makes them easier to see when I get hung in the Rhododendron bushes

Last edited by flyman; 03-18-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me