Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 AM

Default confused about closed water

I am planning a backcountry/backpacking trip to Little River trail at the end of the month and we are trying to decide for sure where to stay. I will be at Campsite #24 (Rough Creek) for two nights and plan on a lot of fishing in the little river there. I am then interested in moving to Campsite #30 (Three Forks) for a night or two. I look at the closed fishing areas on the internet and it appears that all waters near this site are closed to fishing. This is above Meigs Post Prong, and pretty much at intersection with Grouse Creek and Little River. So for those of you that fish this all of the time, help me out so I don't violate the regs please. Can I fish in the area of #30 close enough to make it worth going. Thanks
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Hello....where on the internet did you see that the area around CS30 is closed to fishing...a review of the Park's main website does not confirm this and I am certain this area is not closed...actually camped and fished up that way a couple of years ago...I used to fish the Three Forks area quite often when you were allowed to drive up to the forks of the river...to fish there now almost certainly requires an overnight stay of a couple of nights...this is a remote area that does not see a whole lot of traffic due to the distance to get there...if you camp at 30 there is a vertical waterfall a ways up Meigs Post prong that requires a climb up the side but what is on top is delight...pure brookie water....fishing from 24 upstream you have a very good chance to score a slam without leaving the creek...you should definitely walk back down and up Fish Camp Prong...while the lower water is inviting walk about a mile upstream before you start fishing....you will find everything from large plunge pools, riffles and flat water....worth spending a whole day up there alone...I envy your chance to be in this area and please let us know how you fare.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:07 PM

I located the closed streams on the internet and it appeared as if the waters were closed in that immediate area.

Closed and Excluded Waters for Trout Fishing

Tennessee
1. Sams Creek at the confluence with Thunderhead Prong.
2. Marks Creek at the falls at 2600'.
3. Lynn Camp Prong at campsite #28 (Mark's Cove).
4. Indian Flats Prong at the Middle Prong trail crossing.
5. Meigs Creek at its confluence with Little River.
6. Fish Camp Prong and Goshen Creek at their common junction.
7. Little River and Grouse Creek at their common junction.
8. Road Pr on at its confluence with West Prong of Little Pigeon River.
9. Buck Fork and Middle Prong of the Little Pigeon River at their common junction.
10. Dunn Creek at Park boundary.
11. Indian Cam Creek at Park boundary.
12. Greenbrier River (Little Creek) at Park boundary.
13. Toms Creek at its junction with Cosby Creek.
14. Cosby Creek where Low Gap Trail crosses the stream.
15. Rock Creek at its junction with Cosby Creek .
16. Spruce Flats Creek at its confluence with Middle Prong of Little River.
17. Meigs Post Prong at its confluence with Little River.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 PM

DC4, I could be wrong but I think most of those areas are closed for brook trout restoration, including where you are thinking about fishing. I'm sure there are others on here that know more than I about that... but I think if you want to camp at 24 or 30 that you won't be able to fish any of that water due to the brook trout restoration program.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM

I am sure that this is under the old rules...if you look at this list No. 8 is the Road Prong at the confluence with the WP of the Little River....if you look in the archieves of this board you will plainly see that members have been fishing the Road Prong for at least the last 3 years....those streams were under the brook trout restoration program that was deem a success and the waters opened back to fishing...the park's current website says all waters except two or three streams are open to fishing in the park...
Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Studies of the effect of fishing on the numbers of the adult brook trout in streams in the smokies showed that allowing fishing showed no impact on native trout populations, so in 2006 the park opened park wide for fishing......is this possibly a little game to keep people off of someones favorite stream?
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM

There are only 2 streams closed to fishing in the park right now, Bear Creek in NC, and Lynn Camp Prong in TN.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

I'm willing to bet, you got your information from an outdated web site. As mentioned above, those all opened up to fishing in 2006. Have a good trip and let us know how you did.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM

I knew I was a little fuzzy on the b.t. restoration details. Thanks guys.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:47 PM

Thanks to all, now I can breath. Just 10 more days and if I can survive carrying my house and all comforts on my back up to the campsite I will be in the stream. I am traveling with my wife and two late teen boys. If you see a fat guy screaming for a cigarette with a 70 lb pack on the trail, leave me be, and don't try to take my fly box until I am dead.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugcop4 View Post
I am traveling with my wife and two late teen boys.
Sounds like what you'll be hiking with will be more treacherous than anything you might find in the woods! Seriously though, it's awesome that you are getting out with the fam and your teen boys are down with back country camping. I wish I had started earlier in life.