Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Default Panthertown Creek

I was wondering if anyone here has been on Panthertown creek, east of Cashiers,NC. I will be in that area next week and will be doing some fishing, I hope. I have heard about the stream before and have been wanting to fish it. Would appreciate any info such as best access, etc.

Thanks,
mstone
Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 AM

I have fished it before, though it has been a while. As I recall, I came in off of HW 64 and headed towards Lake Toxaway. There is a road on the northern portion of the Lake that will take you there. I forget the name, but somehow I believe "Cold" was in the title. As I recall, the road dead ended into the trail to take you down into Panthertown. I would strongly advise you to obtain a map of the area, as there are many trails and might take you to undesirable places. Plenty of streams in the area to fish and some relatively big water in places. Good luck.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:00 PM

MBB,
Thanks for the reply. I did plan on finding a map, hopefully in Highlands, before we go. Now I hope the weather cooperates.

mstone
Old 03-23-2010, 01:52 PM

Mstone--I don't know a Panthertown Creek but the headwaters of the Tuckasegee flow through Panthertown Valley. Is that the stream you mean (and it may use the name Panthertown Creek, though I've never heard it). If that's the stream you have in mind, it is without a doubt the strangest trout water in all the N. C. high country--looks like you landed somewhere in another world both from the standpoint of the landscape and vegetation and from the appearance of the stream. It is black water which allows visibility of only a few inches in depth. The trout are specks, and the stream, unlike most in the area, is slowing moving (and the fish spooky).
Let me know if this is the stream to which you are referring.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 PM

Jim,
I believe it is the same creek. The topo map I saw used the name Panthertown creek. An article some time back in Eastern Flyfishing described the stream as a pretty good brook trout stream. I am looking foward to the hike in as much as any thing. It sounds like an interesting area. Thanks for the reply.

mstone
Old 03-28-2010, 08:17 AM

Panthertown Creek and Greenland Creek are the headwaters of the Tuck. Once they merge the water is known as the Tuckaseegee. For a really great map of the Pantertown valley go the www.slickrockexpeditions.com
Order the map MBB is right about the many trails in there.

One time on a fishing trip in there I was awakened by the sound of voices at 0200. Thought that I was dreaming for a while. It sounded like females.
Next morning getting our instant oatmeal breakfast ready, three "ladies" came riding thier mountian bikes by saw us and asked, "How do we get out of here". They were training for a triatalion and got lost. They spent all night long trying to find there way back to the car. The map is very acurate.

email me for some advice. edmondselectric@bellsouth.net