Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-25-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
I'm out and about a lot and my brother, an avid hiker, even more so. Between us we've seen exactly one poisonous snake in the last decade (in the Park). Outside the Park I've seen a bunch of them. Difference? Fewer wild hogs outside the Park, where they can be hunted.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Jim, I reckon I must be snake whisperer, because I still see them regularly. As I mentioned before, I fully expect to see one every time I go off trail or leave the stream bed.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Does the Death March count as a manway even though it was labeled a trail?
Parts of that trail were worse than any trail or manway I have ever been on. I can't believe we all made the ridgeline without bleeding shins considering none of us had gaiters or long pants on.

That was a great trip though and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:41 PM

I concur. That was the most miserable hike I've ever done, but I'd definitely do it again!
Old 03-25-2010, 05:25 PM

I have enjoyed hearing of the "death march" adventure on several occasions. There would have to be some dang fine fishing at the end of the trail for me to partake.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-26-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
I have enjoyed hearing of the "death march" adventure on several occasions. There would have to be some dang fine fishing at the end of the trail for me to partake.
The water looked really good, and I think most of us had fishing gear. Problem was that the hike was so strenuous that nobody had the energy to do anything but sit and drink whiskey by the time we got to our camp sites!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:20 AM

There were rainbows caught in the lower stretches...I have photo evidence somewhere. Problem was, when we got to the brook trout water, we all looked like hybrids between the hunchback of notre dame & a zombie.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:04 AM

I might sound dumb but once I was headed in below abrams falls when I ran into a pretty good size rattler. I had a guide with me and he was in front. He took his rod tip and just worked the snake off the trail and then we walked right by him with no incident. I always thought rattlers were more aggressive than that. However, my question is do any of you, or would I look stupid to wear snake gaiters when hiking into these areas. If you were down in abrams or deep creek or any of the more remote ares, would a snake bite not become fatal?
Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 AM

flyred06--First of all, something like 50 percent of snakebites from poisonous snakes are non-venomous or "dry" bites. That is to say, they do not inject venom. Second, unless you panic or there is some kind of extraordinarily rare circumstance, you aren't going to die from a bite from a rattler or copperhead (although you may be mighty sick and perhaps have some permanent tissue loss). Third, I guess gaiters are a matter of personal choice. Personally, I'm not going to wear them. I've probably had something like 100 encounters with poisonous snakes over the years, including two close ones when I was a boy. I respect them, watch for them, but don't let them interfere with where I want to go. It's probably no comfort, but they were far more plentiful (poisonous and non-poisonous) when I was a boy than they are today.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-27-2010, 08:31 AM

I'm not afraid of snakes. I used to enjoy catching the non poisonous ones when I was a boy. I have no where near your time in the woods, but have only had one encounter with a poisonous snake that concerned me. I was camping at Dale Hollow and was wading along the shore. The bank started getting steep, so I pulled myself up to a ledge to get out. As my head reached the level of the ledge, I found myself eyeball to eyeball with three copperheads about two feet from my face. I eased back down and got away from there. Someone posted a couple of pics on this or another forum of a rattler about head high in the bushes in the Smokys. That gives me the willies. Point is, pay attention to what's all around you. A snake bite to the head would be a bad story. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 03-27-2010, 11:05 AM

Thanks Jim. I am very ignorant about snakes. I do not like them at all. But I do feel better with that knowledge that you just shared.