Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Default Species highlighting of Little River system map plus shaded relief

7/2/2010 UPDATE: The full-featured version of the Little River map is being replaced by a improved and printed version which will be available for purchase this month. See smokystreams.com/maps .

You may still view a basic version of the map for free.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 09-07-2010 at 10:30 PM.. Reason: Updated status of map
Old 03-23-2010, 12:56 PM

very impressive! Regards,
Silvercreek
Old 03-23-2010, 01:01 PM

Fred--I'm constantly receiving inquiries about where to catch speckled trout (I'll never get in the habit of calling them brookies--too true to tradition and my roots), and your map is a truly meaningful start toward a definitive answer. I'll look at it in more detail to see if I notice any variations from my personal experiences, and I'll really look forward to coverage of other drainages. Keep up the fine work.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-23-2010, 01:30 PM

Just curious....why do you show brown trout stopping at the sinks & none on the middle or west prongs??
Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Just curious....why do you show brown trout stopping at the sinks & none on the middle or west prongs??
Interesting question... surely they are in the West Prong, especially near the Y. I'm pretty certain I've caught at least one brown on the Middle Prong, though I can't say the same for the West Prong (which I've only fished about 6 or 8 times).
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for asking, Grannyknot. I'm actually showing bass stopping at the sinks although my choice of colors might not make that clear. I am showing browns up as far as Huskey Branch on the East Prong and to Lynn Camp Prong on the Middle.

Regrettably not having enough personal experience, I must rely on books, park service fisheries info and contributors to this message board for this feature.

I'd really like to add more highlighted waters. If you don't mind sharing, how far up have you encountered browns? I don't want specific spots, just need something like "up to such & such feeder stream."

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-23-2010 at 05:31 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Thanks for asking, Grannyknot. I'm actually showing bass stopping at the sinks although my choice of colors might not make that clear. I am showing browns up as far as Huskey Branch on the East Prong and to Lynn Camp Prong on the Middle.

Regrettably not having enough personal experience, I must rely on books, park service fisheries info and contributors to this message board for this feature.

I'd really like to add more highlighted waters. If you don't mind sharing, how far up have you encountered browns? I don't want specific spots, just need something like "up to such & such feeder stream."

JF
I see...I'm having trouble distinguishing between colors I think. On my wife's Mac at home I can see where you show browns up to Lynn Camp....my apologies.

My personal experiences have been all 3 species on Goshen Prong (albeit not in the same area), 1 brown just past the Tremont institute, and being a witness to a rather large brown being brought to hand on the WPLR just upstream of Laurel Fork Creek.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM

I noticed the lower section of Sams Creek not having
Specks on the map. My understanding was that this
was part of the restoration project.
I have fished the lower section of Sams Creek several times
and have caught few/no Brookies. On the other hand I
have done quite well up high but the price of
admission is 45-60 minutes of hauling *** up
some pretty rough backcountry. Not complaining but just
wondering if others have had simiar experience.

The bigger question is how does this bode for the
Lynn Camp restoration and what is the Park Service take
on the success of Sams Creek?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
I see...I'm having trouble distinguishing between colors I think. On my wife's Mac at home I can see where you show browns up to Lynn Camp....my apologies.
My personal experiences have been all 3 species on Goshen Prong (albeit not in the same area), 1 brown just past the Tremont institute, and being a witness to a rather large brown being brought to hand on the WPLR just upstream of Laurel Fork Creek.
Grannyknot, an apology isn't needed. The bass & browns colors definitely needed more contrast. I'm a PC and I fixed it. I added brown trout waters further up LR and to the very lower part of Goshen Prong, and to West Prong just past Laurel Creek. Let me know if I need to extend further. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfly View Post
I noticed the lower section of Sams Creek not having Specks on the map. ......
fcfly, I tried to find documented instances of specks down lower on Sams, but haven't yet. Lacking any other basis, I fell back on the "above 3,000 ft" school of thought at least for now. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2010, 10:50 AM

Great work Fred these maps keep getting more and more useful to the fisherman especially one who is willing to explore a bit.

I caught my first spec last year about a hundred yards above the lower falls on sams creek. A friend who was with me caught one near the confluence of thunderhead and sams creek as well so they are down there.