Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-29-2010, 09:41 AM

Default Korkers Questions

Does anyone have the Torrent wading shoe? Would you hike 5-6 miles with a 20-30 lb. pack in them?
Thanks.

Mike
Old 04-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Hello,

I don't have the Torrent series boot, but I have been using the older style Wetland boots for a few years for day hiking to remote locations and they have held up pretty well. Better than carrying the extra weight of separate wading boots IMO.

Neal
Old 04-07-2010, 03:48 PM

I bought a pair of Korkers boots this past October, and they are already ruined. I fish 2 days a week usually, and 2 months ago all the stitching around the toe was worn so bad the boots were falling apart. I contacted Korkers and they said that it was wear/tear and not covered in warranty. I tried shoe goo, which is holding the stitching ok, but now the soles randomly come out on their own, and I have taken them out less than 10 times. As soon as I get the money saved up I will get some Simms or something that will last. The Korhers are very comfortable, and the idea behind the soles is great, but I ca't spend a hundred every 4 months on boots.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:51 PM

Thumbs up

I'm on my second pair of Torrents and absolutely love them!! I have literally a couple hundred miles on this pair. I have completed backcountry trips in GSMNP, SNP, RMNP, and YNP. The max I have done in a day is about 15 miles while fishing Timber Creek and Timber Lake in RMNP. I put over ten miles on them this past weekend in GSMNP.

A couple of recommendations:
  1. Ditch the Korkers insole and replace it with Dr. Scholls Gel inserts.
  2. Buy the Aquastealth sole and you never have to change the sole.
Buy them and you will absolutely not be disappointed!

Chris
Old 04-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjw37909 View Post
I bought a pair of Korkers boots this past October, and they are already ruined...........................The Korhers are very comfortable, and the idea behind the soles is great, but I ca't spend a hundred every 4 months on boots.
I can second TJW's sentiments. I bought some cross current boots and they were having the same problems he described in less than a year. I don't even get to fish near as much as TJW.

Per Byron's request, I brought them by the shop to let Daniel take a look at them. Daniel called Korkers right in front of me, and a less than friendly account rep told him the issue was considered normal wear and tear and they could fix it for a charge + shipping & time.

I realize they have cornered the market on a neat idea, but there's no need to take a dump on customer service when there is an obvious quality issue with their product. Most of my friends have worn Simms & Patagonia boots for years without any of the issues I have with mine.

That being said, I'm fairly disappointed with them, and I think I'll look to another company when I can afford new boots.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:55 PM

To add to the Corkers issue and Grannyknot's cust service experience... I have a close friend that has experienced a similar issue with his Patagonia wading boots (stitching issue). He contacted Patty cust service. The result? A brand new pair of boots. No charge for repairs. No shipping. That's the way it ought to be. Build a quality product and stand behind it. Don't nickel and dime your customers.

BTW, I have a pair of Riverwalkers and love them. Can hike for miles, no problem.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:04 PM

tjw, have you tried a shoe repair shop to see if anything can be done.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
tjw, have you tried a shoe repair shop to see if anything can be done.
Ah, the cobbler. A relic of another time when people actually fixed things instead of throwing them away to buy a new one. Makes you think, don't it?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM

Default Fixing shoes

Carlito, we have had a shoe repair shop here in Cleveland for several years. Smalley's at 423-472-9545, if anyone is interested.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:00 AM

My issue is not how to fix the boots, but why I should have to after 15-20 uses in 9 months.