Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM

Default Mts vs. Clinch

Ok I have been reaing all the post on the dry flys comming off in the mts. I've got a buddy comming over here and want to go fishing. Our plan was to float the Clinch. Which or where would he have more fun? he is new to fly fishing by the way
Old 04-02-2010, 09:04 AM

Smile I went to the mountains on Wed

The water is still pretty high. I headed to Road Prong only to find it really high. Had to make a "leap of faith" a few times which is never comfortable as you are by yourself. I caught 2, hooked 3 more only to have them come off, and had 4 or 5 bump my dry only to not take it. Water temp was 44. There weren't hardly any slower runs, and the few where they were is where the fish were active. Saw 5 or 6 different bugs out, so yes they were everywhere, but the fish were not "turned on". Got home only to see where Plateau Angler had just advised to stay low elevation for another fisherman. Wish I would have seen that a day earlier! When I fished the week before fishing at the lower elevations was pretty good, but with the high water I should have just gone kayaking!

Normally I would always take the mountains over the Clinch, but you may want to just stay at the Clinch is in the next day or so until the water warms up a smidge and goes down a bit.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Rodney, with your boat and knowledge of the river, I think you would be able to show him a much better time on your home waters.

I might come out there for a couple hours this weekend if you are gonna be around the weir pool any.
Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM

Default My opinion means squash...

The Clinch was super packed this morning. Also, the quick warm up seemed to have the fish down deep from 10am-on..... If you can stay within one generator or on the tail end; you probably will be ok. I did not see many rising today or any significant hatch. I suspect that will change in to Sunday....

The water was very low and finicky from Miller's Island upward.

The only thing I was getting results on were wooly buggers. And I hate throwing wooly buggers. Might as well throw a spinner...

I will probably take Saturday off due to the traffic and conditions. I think Sunday will be a good day; but, I have Easter obligations. If it were me; I actually would try the mountains if you can get there super early.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-02-2010, 05:11 PM

Default Where is Flyman on this one?

I would have expected the following response (and will offer it in his stead):

When asked about the Clinch v. Mtns...the only true response is...which do you prefer: Blondes or Brunettes??

Which ever you have better luck with, I would stick with what you know if you have to bring a buddy along...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-02-2010, 08:22 PM

I would agree with DuckyPaddler. Mundele and I fished the middle prong up Tremont yesterday afternoon and I was shocked at how high the water was. I thought the water wouldn't be up so much since it hasn't rained since Sunday but was I wrong. Wading was dangerous in spots and I stuck mostly to the shoreline. I suspect it will be more managable by early next week unless we get more rain.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:42 PM

Well we floated the Clinch, put in at peach at 11 and pulled out at 61 around 715. Had a great day. My buddy who hadnt fly fished since he was in middle school. Caught 7 or 8. I caught i don't know how many. With a couple of good sized fish. Had one really good one break off right below cold water farms.

All fish came of bhpt and midges. With more being on the pts.

Hey even seen a few sulphers but the fish wasnt on them at all.

All and all I think I made the right move by fishing the Clinch. I look like a lobster though.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Rod,

Were you the guys in the driftboat or in the john boat. There was a lot more boat traffic coming thru on low water than I typically see. I was below CWF from 2:30 till 6:30, so I am sure we crossed paths at some time.

The fish were quite selective and on bottom until around 5:30. I had two break me off and only landed one from 2:30 till 5:30. However, from that point on, it was a strike on nearly every cast.

Water temp was 48 degrees, up 6 from last Friday.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 04-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I would agree with DuckyPaddler. Mundele and I fished the middle prong up Tremont yesterday afternoon and I was shocked at how high the water was. I thought the water wouldn't be up so much since it hasn't rained since Sunday but was I wrong. Wading was dangerous in spots and I stuck mostly to the shoreline. I suspect it will be more managable by early next week unless we get more rain.

The water was high but we had a great couple of hours. I caught 6, most from one pool. Wading across to get to it was a little sketchy (read: stupid) but I did it anyway. Probably should've had a wading staff. oh well.

I'd say that water levels will drop with the dry weather we're having lately.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:48 AM

Travis we was in the driftboat. I thought that might have been you taking pictures right there around Jim Jones old place. Sorry should have been more friendly and talked more.

All our fish came off a 18 bhpt and that little green v rib water wolf ties. Next time, we cross paths we'll know each other.