Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-04-2010, 09:32 PM

Default April 14 - 18

Daniel and I are going to be down 4/14 through 4/18. We'll be staying over at Docks Motel.

With any luck, we may be able to meet up with some of you all while we're there. We should be pulling in the afternoon on Wednesday and leaving Sunday morning.

Jeff
Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM

I'm going to pass you on 75. For my birthday, I asked for a couple days fishing in the park before things really get hectic getting ready to head West. I'm afraid if I don't go now, It'll be sometime in late October before I can get back to the park. I'm coming down very early Monday and have to leave Wednesday around noon. Remembering your PM on FAOL about living the dream, I'm beginning to wonder. (Not rubbing it in!) Looking at my fishing logs for last summer I'm wondering if what fishing time I gain by my "expeditions" , actually costs me in the fishing time in the Smokies. Of the 30 days (starting on Wed) before leaving for 4 months in the Shoshone , I'm tied up with important stuff like: soccer, little league games, along with Dr. App'ts, packing, etc. for about 16 of those days.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 04-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Randall,
Sorry we'll be missing you. If you see a red Pontiac G6 2 door tooling South on 75 being driven by a guy with a "I'm going fishing, get out of my way" look on his face, that would be me.

If it makes you feel any better about your situation, by Wednesday of last week, I had already worked 38 hours and with the exception of the week's vacation next week, the rest of the summer isn't looking too much better.

New American Corporate Formula:
(Fewer Employees + Same amount of work + New Work) - (2 more departments) * .(15% annual cost savings goals) = stressed out, overworked, over committed employees who burn out faster and die younger.

Of course, with the "Fewer Employees" being an integral part of the equation, there are many people willing to step right in to take the place of the guy the paramedics carried out in a body bag the day before.

With the economy and job market the way it is, there's no place else to go and employers know it and push us all that much harder and expect us to push those on our teams that much harder. A couple people on my team have worked even longer hours than I am and that really bothers me.

Oh well, hopefully for a couple days in the Smokeys, I'll forget all about this and just enjoy some time fishing with my son.

Randall, even though you may not be fishing as much as you would like to, being out of the Corporate Rat Race is something you should consider as a good thing.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2010, 05:26 PM

Good luck!

My son and I just spent some quality time together down there this past weekend!

Chris
Old 04-05-2010, 05:31 PM

I'll be there Saturday evening. Really looking forward to this trip. Staying in a cabin over in Cosby.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM

I'll be up there sometime in that time frame...hope to see you out fishing...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Plateau,
Hope to see you. Not sure where we'll be fishing just yet. I was hoping to get up to Sam's Creek but not sure if we'll go there. We really like Lynn Camp Prong, but it's still closed. Thunderhead is also a possibility. Just have to keep an eye out on the reports and stop in LRO in the mornings to find out where the bugs are hatching (if they're still down low or if they have moved upstream by then.

We'll be driving a red Pontiac G6 2 door with Kentucky plates. Shouldn't be too hard to spot us. Daniel will be the one with the harem of girls following him and I'll be the one wishing I was about 35 years younger.

Daniel already was asking if I thought there would be a bikini hatch going on while we are there.

Jeff
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Jeff-I came into the park around noon and fished just above Metcalf' picnic area. I had several small rises to a parachute adams. Then went to LR above Elkmont, the water was flowing high but very clear. I switched to an Ausable Wulff and a Mr. Rapidan. These are my normal April flies for slight fast high water. Only had one small bow and a couple snubs. I then switched to a #14 Quill Gordon tied as a sparse parachute. I had to drift through a pool several times before getting a rise. I caught 4 rainbows 6-8 inches and 2 browns around 10 inches. I had a lot of missed rises also, lost my touch over the winter. I only fished for 4 hours. I saw lot of QG's on the water at times.

Steer clear of Pigeon Forge, a big car show this weekend. Some around already. I'd head into the park through Townsend (stop by LRO, of course).

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Bring some QG wets

Fished above Elkmont Tuesday afternnon, some fish rising but only a few takers. Went to a Quill Gordon wet fly and caught about 10 fish on it.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM

went up Porter's creek for a couple hours yesterday. I don't have a way to get my photos up for a couple days (borrowing a laptop from one of the youth group kids right now). I did manage 3 nice chunky 'bows up there. I had a couple half hearted strikes on dry fly (quill gordon and para adams) but there were no bugs coming off the water (fished from 3 - 6:30pm).

I switched to a dropper and started getting hits on the pheasant tail. I went to just a nymph (copper john and pheasant tail) and started getting more strikes and in the last half hour, caught 3 fish and had 2 more on that spit the hook before I got them to hand.

The kids want to swim over at the Y today so, if the wife is agreeable, I may get a chance to head up tremont.

Daniel and I will be over to Townsend Thurs, Fri, Sat, and leaving Sun.

Jeff