Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 04-13-2010, 09:58 PM

Default Traditional Patterns by Jim Casada

Great article Jim. Being from the Tennessee side, its interesting to hear the history of fly patterns from NC.

Around 20 or so years ago, I crossed paths with a fisherman from NC while on Deep Creek. He shared with me a fly that he said came from the rubber material used in a factory somewhere in Western NC that was used in making vacuum cleaner hoses. He called it the Coffey Nymph. The tan-colored, rubber material was wrapped on a long-shank hook roughly size 8-10 with brown goose biots crossed on the front. Have you ever heard of this pattern and is there truth to the tale or was he handing me a "fish story"?

Grampus
Jim Parks
Old 04-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Yes, Jim's article in the LRO Journal was great. I too was amazed at the innovation that the TN and NC fisherman used to create flies from available materials. It was interesting to note that flies that we use today go so far back in time, but are still applicable today, and they still catch fish!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Not a fish story at all. Frank Coffey was one heck of a fisherman and tier. The fly was called a Stone Creeper. I've seen it tied in two different colors, a beige and a dark black or almost purple color. A lot of good fishermen and tiers came out of the Waynesville area. I've had the pleasure to meet, fish, or watch several of them tie. Names like as Bennie Craig, Ralph Mills, Verlin Evens, Jack Bradley, and Charlie Messer will forever live in my memory, I owe all of them for their time and help to me as a new and developing fisherman and tier. I think Roger Lowe told me one time that Frank played an important part in his progress as a young man in the art of tying. Frank caught more big fish than anyone I knew.

Last edited by flyman; 04-14-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 PM

I enjoyed Jim's article as well, he has a pleasant and easy style that I enjoy. When I started thinking about some of the good Smoky Mt fly tiers that I have know in addition to some of the ones he named. 2 came to mind that were not mentioned that I feel should be on anyones list. Walter Babb and Hugh Hartsell measure up against any I have ever know. Walter's thread and tool management is second to no one I have ever seen tie in person, and I've see quite a few good ones. Hugh's vast expanse of patterns and his imitations of his observations in nature will be a standard for generations to come. I'm sure there are many, many others that I simply just have not had a chance to observer their work. I'm looking forward to Troutfest to fill in some of those gaps.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 AM

flyman-
I agree with you that Hugh is a great tyier and guide. I personally know Hugh, in that he has guided Barbara & I in the Park and on the SoHo a number of times. Always seem to run into him with a client on the SoHo. This is not a "diss" on Walter Babb, as I haven't met him, and only heard about his work from LRO. Hugh told me that he had a lot of time to further perfect his tying after his medical problem several years ago.

I love going to Hugh's website, reading his fishing reports, and viewing his flies. When I want to tie a new pattern, his site is one of the first that I look at to get an idea of how to tie the fly.

I'm sure that Walter is just as dedicated to his craft. Thank the Lord that we have both of the gentlemen for their work.