Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-19-2010, 05:42 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight
Thumbs up I can't resist!

I just have to post a picture of this brown trout I caught today 4-19-10 on Little River, this thing hit my nymph like a concrete block! did I say nymph? hmm I must be either really lucky or starting to get the hang on nymphing.

A huge thanks to Daniel at LRO for suggesting which dry fly to drop off of, I even even landed me a fat bow on the dry, the fish seemed to be in the rougher current with the lower water. All I know is I am sitting on top of the world right now.

Last edited by spotlight; 04-19-2010 at 05:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-2010, 05:58 PM

My son Daniel caught it's brother about 600 yards upstream of the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area Friday morning. I don't know where you were on the river, but that looks a lot like the fish he caught.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 07:43 PM

It must have swam farther up.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Nice brown trout! I fished Tremont today hoping for a brown but only caught rainbows. Nothing much was moving until 4:00 pm then I caught 8 in one 200 yard stretch. What fun!
None were big, probably 9" was the biggest. He thought he was a lot bigger, made a great run and jumped once. It was a good day.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
It must have swam farther up.
I compared pictures and they are different fish (spots on the head are different) but pretty darn close to the same size and both are beautiful fish.

Nice catch.

Barbara, nice work on the 'bows too.

I envy those of you who are close enough to get to the mountains more than 3 or 4 times a year.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 PM

Jeff post the pic! and Barbara maybe I need to start later in the day action was like dead at 3:00-3:45 so i gave up and went home but I was happy this is the nicest fish I'd ever caught since I started fly fishing 9 months ago.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Jeff post the pic! and Barbara maybe I need to start later in the day action was like dead at 3:00-3:45 so i gave up and went home but I was happy this is the nicest fish I'd ever caught since I started fly fishing 9 months ago.
Spotlight,
Here's my son's fish. It isn't quite as long as the one you had pictured. The camera angle is a little bad as he's still in the net and partially under the water. Measured on the net he was just shy of 13". My son said 14 but I think closer to 13. Nice park brown all the same. He was caught about 600 yards east of the Metcalf Bottoms picnic area.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2010, 11:24 PM

Very nice fish! my flash distorted the color I am always in a hurry to get em back in the water some nice fish have been caught this year that's for sure! tell your son i said very nice fish!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM

That is a real pretty fish! Nice work!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Spotlight,

I caught 6 scattered over Tremont between 11-4 with time out for lunch. Didn't see any big hatches until after 4 but I didn't catch the 8 when a visable hatch was on. What happened, I think, is I found a fly that matched what few bugs were hatching. Only had one like it so my casting was very careful! I will hit LRO and get a few more like it. Although it is raining pretty hard now in Townsend. Maybe I'll get a brown today like you did!